108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Remote/lan console connection to k420

SOLVED
Go to solution
Keith Winger
Occasional Advisor

Remote/lan console connection to k420

I have assumed management of an old hp9000 k420 server and need to know what my options for connecting a remote console to it are. Does it have a LAN console like more recent models?

I have attached a picture of the core/IO module.

Thanks in advance
4 REPLIES 4
rick jones
Honored Contributor
Solution

That goes back a ways... The K Series have no LAN console. Just the serial console. Stretching the DIMM wetware memory I believe there was a "remote console" serial port - that was intended to be connected to a modem to allow HP service folks to dial-in to the system to troubleshoot.

Around that timeframe there was an "HP Secure Web Console" device - it was in effect a single-port terminal server with a web interface. That was often deployed to allow someone to "access the console over a network." That suggests what is pretty much the only way to access a K Series' console via a network - by using a terminal server.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Keith Winger
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, I was able to find an HP Secure Web Console and have ordered one. It was only $60 including shipping.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

I'm impressed you were able to find one. FWIW, I suspect that just about any old (reverse) terminal server would do.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The K-series has only a serial console. The Web Console is simply a terminal emulator with a web page that connects to the serial port. Be careful about the network you use with this box. It is NOT a secure device (despite its name), just as SAN switches, LAN switches, and other appliances with serial ports are not secure. Treat the console network as a high security risk, requiring specialized access methods (no routing).

Bill Hassell, sysadmin