New Discussion юеВ

SD32000:HBPB fails frequently.

SOLVED
Go to solution
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

SD32000:HBPB fails frequently.

dear all,
i've got a SD32000's HBPB problem. system log tells that HBPB 1 and HBPB 2 fails, and when HBPB 1 be replaced, HBPB 2's status becomes fine. it means that one HBPB replace could fix two HBPB problem. soon after that replacement (hours or days, it happens four times), system log shows that that two HBPB failed again.

i could not figure out what happen to this SD32000 or its backplane, can somebody offer me some hints?

thanks a lot
5 REPLIES 5
smatador
Honored Contributor

Re: SD32000:HBPB fails frequently.

Hi
It's a superdome, so I would hope you have a hardware maintenance contract. Perhaps, HP could check first hardware and firmware, perhaps when they replace the first, they don't update the firm...
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

does firmware update needed when replacing a HBPB of the superdome? i could not figure out which firmware needed.
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Stephen,

Let me relate to you a vexxing problem we encountered with some 'Domes we had in some of our server rooms.
We have a large datacenter with multiple server rooms. We were having much too high of a 'Dome failure rate on various boards within.
It took several months but we finally determined that the facilities people were hanging various signs within the server room.
They did so by drilling holes in the drop ceiling metal frames.

They cared not where the shavings dropped. Guess where they ended up? The fans in the 'Domes were sucking them right in & depositing them upon various boards.

Believe me that they now are *required* to make sure they perform these activities in such a manner that NO shavings escape below their work area - period.

So the moral is inspect the area & investigate the work procedures of all who work within.

My 2 cents,
Jeff

P.S. You can request that HP perform an "autopsy" on any board that fails under contract. That was the key that got us on the path to finding root cause. HP informed us that the boards were failing in such a manner that only a short could cause. But because the boards were manually handled upon replacement there was no hard evidence of the exact cause of the short. Just the clue that they'd never really seen boards fail like that.
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

i tried once that pull out HBPB 1 and then push it back into the original slot, all HBPB 1 and HBPB 2's power become usual and back to function, viewing from ps command at GSP. but now HBPB 1 and 2 are power fault again. just do not know how to deal with it.
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

this issue was caused by HBPB 0, replaced it, it became ok.