HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1748183 Members
3425 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Update ROM without ROM Update Utility? or...

SOLVED
Go to solution
kerzi peterson
Occasional Advisor

Update ROM without ROM Update Utility? or...

I am installing a server and I am having problems with one of the hard drives. They are both 36.4 GB U320 drives. The one that works came in the chassis, the one that doesn't is one that was shipped with it for RAID. I have two controllers and they both do not see the drive correctly. The Adaptec says the Capacity is N/A, Block Size: No Media, Negotiated: Async Narrow, Transfer rate 3mb. But it sees the correct scsi ID for it. It does not give me the option to format it. When I boot to any OS it sees the one 36.4 GB drive, but it shows the other one as only 1GB. First thing I wanted to try was update the ROM, BUT the server did not come with any *SmartStart 6.2. or ROM Update Utility*. Am I waisting my time on this drive, could it be failed? If not, how the **** am I sposed to update this thing!

P.S. This thread has been moevd from Disk to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL). - Hp Forum Moderator

11 REPLIES 11
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Re: Update ROM without ROM Update Utility? or...

Hi Kerzi,

Yup, upgrading the FW on the disk would be a good start. Atleast it should clearly indicate whether the disk is still responsive or not?

So, could you please post the disk model and I will send you the link to create the disk FW diskettes. One floppy drive would be the one you boot off the server with and the other one would contain the disk FW image.

Look forward to your response.

Hope it was of help and don't forget to assign points:)

Regards,
kerzi peterson
Occasional Advisor

bd03695a27

I found the image or something.. But the site told me to use some bootable CD, which i dont have =(

Thanks for your help.
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Kerzi,

Here you go:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17149.html

This multi-disk release contains the latest FW HPB3 for your drive. Read the softpaq.txt, it should tell you the floppy disk number you need to create for the disk FW image for your drive model.

So, do I get 10 points:))

Let me know if you have problems performing this upgrade..

Regards,

kerzi peterson
Occasional Advisor

Thanks alot! I searched forever on this dang page and couldn't find a thing! THANKS!
kerzi peterson
Occasional Advisor

tho, It doesn't say the ML110 is supported.. But we will see!
kerzi peterson
Occasional Advisor

Well, when I put in the disk for my hard drive, I get ROMpaq cannot load cpqint.opt, The driver for the device you have selected. The device cannot be reprogrammed. Error number -2. First boot disk didn't even see the device.
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Hi Kerzi,

Could you try upgrading the SYSETM BIOS then. Please download it from the following link:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/20_5769.html

Could you try moving this drive to another server and see if it gets detected?

Hope it was of help and don't forget to assign points:)

Regards,
P├╢schl
Occasional Contributor

Thanks ! Thist one helped me a lot too !!!
kerzi peterson
Occasional Advisor

Turned out being bad drive for me. Got it replaced and works great =D.

Thanks.