1752328 Members
5346 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: cold installation on rp7410

Nelson Chamba
Regular Advisor

cold installation on rp7410

Hi Folks, I need to do a cold installation on rp7410 box but it just boots to MP console, from there nothing else happen. I inserted the Core OS cd on the CD-ROM and the light went green and then switched off for ever, nothing happened just the MP. I rebooted the server many times and it just goes to MP. How can I make it to boot from the CD-ROM.

This server had 2x36 GB HDD with old OS installed, I donтАЩt care anymore with it, itтАЩs just kill. I tried to boot these old OS with the bo pri of the MP Console but nothing, it just shows me the partition available (0) and when I choose it, it says the partition will be booted and silent, nothing happen.

Any idea?

nelson Chamba/

8 REPLIES 8
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

The PA-RISC firmware typically won't boot from a CD/DVD just because one is inserted: you need to run a SEArch, then identify the DVD path in the results and choose the correct path for booting (e.g. BO P3 or something similar). Did you do this? Your description sort of looks like you might not have.

Check the VFP mode of the MP to see if anything is going on. If it indicates that an error has been detected, look at the MP logs (command SL, Error logs, mode Text).

MK
Nelson Chamba
Regular Advisor

Hi Matti,

No i just inserted the DVD on the CD-ROM and boot it. On the BO the only options is the partition 0 the one that i want to kill. I can't find the SEArch, it's not showing up on MP.

There are erros but too old.

NC 

Nelson Chamba
Regular Advisor

hi, when I power of the AC on the server it starts and stops on th MP login: if i logon with Admin/Admin i just see the MP commands. Where do i choose to boot from the DVD-ROM. 

I have the DVD-ROM installed on the surestore tape array 5300 but when i stated i had it installed directly on the box. My problem persist, where do i define the boot option?

NC/ 

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Ah, I see. You are talking about the BO command of the MP, while what you need is a similar command in the PDC boot prompt of the system firmware.

In a rp7410 (or any other nPar-capable system), the MP does not automatically switch to console mode after resetting/TOCing/otherwise rebooting a partition, like the older GSP on non-nPar-capable systems did. Furthermore, the nPar-capable systems don't usually output anything at all to the console mode while executing self tests... and those self tests can take quite a while.

If you are accessing the MP over a network connection, I would recommend starting two connections to the MP and setting one of them to the VFP mode to monitor the state of partition 0 while using the other to first reboot the partition, then switching it to COnsole mode for partition 0. You could use the connection in VFP mode to monitor the progress of the self-tests, while the other connection would be ready to receive the first boot messages from the system firmware, including the "press any key within 10 seconds to interrupt autoboot" message.

If you are accessing it with a single connection only, I would recommend this:

Starting from the MP main menu, type CM, then RS to reset the partition 0. (Yes, I know the BO might do the same, but this is what I'm used to.)

After confirming your intention to reset partition 0, type MA, then VFP and select partition 0.

You should see messages about various tests and configuration steps on the status line(s): each cell that belongs to this partition should have its own status line.

Eventually, the status line(s) should say something like "booting OS". That's your cue to switch out of the VFP mode (Ctrl-B) and to COnsole mode for partition 0: you have about 10 seconds of time to do this. The console mode will automatically reprint the last few lines of console output, which should now include a prompt like "press any key within 10 seconds to interrupt autoboot". So, press SPACE, Enter or whatever.

If you did it within 10 seconds, the system should display the Boot Console Handler main main menu and a prompt. This is the point where you can search for bootable devices, choose which device to boot from, edit the automatic boot paths, or enable/disable autobooting. (If you disable autobooting, the system will automatically stop at the BCH prompt instead of making any boot attempts.)

Type SEA and wait awhile as the system builds a list of bootable devices. Any tape drives will be listed as "sequential-access devices", but you won't be able to tell a DVD drive and a disk drive apart unless you know the hardware path of the DVD drive.

The path for the built-in DVD drive would be 1/0/0/3/1.2, if one is installed.

The paths of the 4 internal system disk slots are 0/0/0/3/0.6, 0/0/0/3/0.5, 1/0/0/3/0.6 and 1/0/1/0/0/1/1.6.

Once the SEArch command has listed the available paths and given them numbered shortcuts (the first will be P0, the second P1, etc.) you can use a command like "BO P1" to boot from the path you want. This is a one-time selection only: to make a persistent configuration change, you would have to go to the COnfiguration menu, and then specify your desired primary (or alternate) boot path in long form using a command like "PA PRI 0/0/0/3/0.6", or use a "setboot" command within the HP-UX operating system. Usually, the HP-UX installer sets the primary boot path automatically for you.

When you use the BO P<whatever> command, the next question is "Do you wish to stop at the ISL prompt prior to booting (y/n)?" If you're going to boot from the HP-UX installation DVD, answer N. If you chose the correct boot path, the system should now boot from the DVD and display the main menu of the HP-UX installer.

(You would need to answer Y if you were booting an existing HP-UX installation into one of the special modes, like single-user mode, LVM recovery mode, etc. Then you would see the ISL> prompt, with another set of commands.)

MK
Nelson Chamba
Regular Advisor

Hi, I'm using a single console. > Starting from the MP main menu, type CM, then RS to reset the partition 0. (Yes, I know the BO might do the same, but this is what I'm used to.) > After confirming your intention to reset partition 0, type MA, then VFP and select partition 0. Here i have to chose the terminal that I'm using, on my case it's terminal 1 that it's the default there. after that i can't seen anything related or similar to "boot" on the lines (check the images on attachment). After clicking the Ctrl-B and move to COnsole mode nothing happen again just the message saying "boot device reset done" (check the image). NC/
Nelson Chamba
Regular Advisor

Hi, I'm using a single console.

After confirming your intention to reset partition 0, type MA, then VFP and select partition 0 i get the optiont to chose the terminal that I'm using, on my case it's terminal 1 that it's the default there. after that i can't seen anything related or similar to "boot" on the lines (check the images on attachment). After clicking the Ctrl-B and move to COnsole mode nothing happen again just the message saying "boot device reset done" (check the image).

NC/

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

From your screen shot pictures, your cell board is failing POST (indicated by the E next to the cell board) and powering off.   This is why you cannot access your console.

From the MP Main Menu access the Service Logs menu (SL) and view the Event Logs.  Type "T" and then "L" to view the latest logs in text format.  Hopefully you can see what is causing the trouble.

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
Nelson Chamba
Regular Advisor

Hi all,

Thank you for the help but I gave up this server, unfortunetly without discovering what was causing the problem.

thank