108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

d350 drive replacement ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rob Yohn
Advisor

d350 drive replacement ?

I have a failed drive in an HP 9000 model D350. It used to belong to vg00, but I have removed this drive from vg00 with vgreduce. So now, it is just a failed drive sitting in the server. Can I remove this drive in it's current state or do I need to power down the server to remove this drive? I will be replacing this drive with a larger drive at a later date. Here is some system information. This is on HP-UX 10.20

diskinfo /dev/rdsk/c0t5d0
SCSI describe of /dev/rdsk/c0t5d0:
vendor: SEAGATE
product id: ST32550W
type: direct access
size: 2082636 Kbytes
bytes per sector: 512
7 REPLIES 7
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: d350 drive replacement ?

According to the information in http://www.openpa.net the D350 should have internal hot-swap trays.

Use the "ioscan -fnkCdisk" command to get a listing of the disk devices that includes the hardware path information (strings of numbers, dots and slashes).

Go to the server and open the door in the server's front panel. On the inside of the door, there should be a small table identifying the hardware path of each disk slot. Use this and the ioscan output to identify the correct disk.

If the disk is in a black plastic hot-swap tray (just like the trays used in the old Jamaica/HASS enclosure), unlock the blue lever and pull the disk tray out.

If you see the disks are behind a metal plate (with some fairly large air holes), you'll know this server has no hot-swappable disks.

Remember that the hot-swap disks of the D3xx series are HVD type: you cannot easily replace them with modern LVD SCSI drives.

MK
MK
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

If the drive is not in use by any VG and it is hot-swapable then simply remove it, replace it with a good one, ioscan, pvcreate, add it to a vg and reconfigure.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Your current lvm config (max_pe) will prevent the use of a larger disk.

Consider to take an ignite backup and restore it to the new disk.

For mirroring you'll need another larger disk.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Rob Yohn
Advisor

MK, thank you for your information. My drives are indeed hot swap as you described. They have the blue tab used to release the drive from the slot, not behind a big metal plate.

My plan was to use a newer 9GB scsi drive (2) as my boot drive and mirrored through LVM. Is it possible to use a newer LVD drives in the server as my boot drives?

I have found converters, but I am unsure if they will work because these drives are the hot swap type that slide in/out of the server.
Rob Yohn
Advisor

Forgot to add to the last reply.

Once I have figured out how to use newer/larger drives, I will recover the system from my ignite tape. VG00 is currently 4 2Gb LVM mirrored drives and my plan is to get this down to 2 LVM mirrored drives.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

The internal disks are HVD, so you cannot use LVD SCSI drives.

Plan B?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
tkc
Esteemed Contributor

first confirm the disk is no longer existing in the /etc/lvmtab :

#strings /etc/lvmtab

after that, you can simply replace the disk online. after replacing online, verify that the new disk is detectable using ioscan command :

#ioscan -fn

once verified ok with the new disk, you can anytime fresh install the new disk with o/s on next reboot.