1752676 Members
6391 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

pdcinfo command - bus_walk_ok

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

pdcinfo command - bus_walk_ok

I have noticed an option on the pdcinfo command for 11.11 that allows for more information to be gathered from the host. However this comes with a caution message:

CAUTION: The -bus_walk_ok option returns a map of the devices on the bus. The option should be performed only on an unloaded, non-switchover system. Otherwise, a switchover or system crash may occur.

Can anyone explain what this refers to?

Also, I have noticed that this option no longer is offered in 11.23 or even some later versions of 11.11. Due to problems perhaps?

Thanks,
Bob
----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
3 REPLIES 3
in_kunal
Occasional Advisor

Re: pdcinfo command - bus_walk_ok

Hello bob i am exactly facing the same problem that you faced two year back.

Did you got any clarification for
"pdcinfo - bus_walk_ok" command.

is it safe to use and what does the CAUTION: means, the unloaded and non-switchover system means?

please replly here only if you got some solution.

Thanks
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Well, I never got any further information, but here is what I surmise.

The bus walk option may be similar to an active scan of the hardware. Since it is the PDC that is doing the scan, there possibly could be implications to the running kernel(perhaps the PDC 'pokes' the CPU and memory which could affect address buffers??).

I believe a switchover refers to a Service Guard configuration.

So, I guess I would not use the bus_walk option. Also look for pdcinfo patches (and keep STM at the latest release).

-Bob
----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
in_kunal
Occasional Advisor

thanks bob for the above information.
what i noticed is if you see cstm output for the cpu or system on 11.11 it is giveing the same format output as -bus_walk_ok. I think internally cstm is fireing pdcinfo only.