New Discussion юеВ

Re: rp5470 - accessing GSP rev. B

SOLVED
Go to solution
Andy Kosela
Frequent Advisor

rp5470 - accessing GSP rev. B

I received a server (rp5470 GSP rev. B) with GSP LAN configured to 15.99.111.x
How I can access this GSP card using telnet from inside my private home LAN network (10.0.0.0/24 with router at 10.0.0.2)

Or I need to somehow reset GSP card to default values and then reassign ip again.
Any info and/or links to manuals would be appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

The manuals can be found in the standard location: go to docs.hp.com, select "Enterprise Servers, Workstations and System Hardware", then "HP 9000 rp5400 Series Server (L-Class)". You'll see a list of manuals relevant to your server.

In your situation, you would be best served by the Installation Guide:

http://docs.hp.com/en/A5191-96022/index.html

In particular, see the GSP instructions in Chapter 3.2:
http://docs.hp.com/en/A5191-96022/ch03s02.html

To configure the network parameters of your GSP, you should plug in a terminal (or a computer equipped with a terminal emulator software) to the "Console" serial port of the GSP. Press Ctrl-B to access the GSP menus, then enter the LC command (Lan Config) to set the IP address parameters.

Note that the GSP LAN port is completely separate from the system NIC(s). You'll need at least two network cables: one for the server's regular network interface, and another for the GSP.

If the GSP is password-protected and you don't know the password, the GSP allows its password to be reset through the "Console" serial port when the GSP is resetting itself.

To reset the GSP:
- if the OS of the rp5470 is running and accessible to you, log in as root and enter "stty +resetGSP - if you can open the PCI cardcage of the server, the GSP card has a button on its side, marked "GSP RESET". (The other button is labeled "TOC" and will force the server to crash, creating a crash dump.)
- the last way to reset the GSP is to disconnect all power cords from the server for at least 30 seconds, then plug them back in. When the power comes back, the GSP will reset.

While the GSP is resetting, it will output a copyright message to the console terminal, then "Press P now to reset all GSP passwords". The time window for the password reset command is not very long, so you should prepare for it.

MK
MK
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

the best way is to connect a serial terminal or use a pc connected to the serial connection on the console port of the server and pc/laptop and use hyper terminal to access it.

then you can simply login and change the settings if you know the password.

You can reset it to defaults and clear passwords by removing the side cover and presing the reset button on the GSP i/f card. You need a console attached locally though this way to confirm the reset.

or you can reset it through hpux like mentioned if you can get onto it that way?

Andy
Andy Kosela
Frequent Advisor

Unfortunately there is no HP-UX installed. Also I would like to prefer to configure GSP LAN interface via LAN (as this is GSP rev. B by assigning ip with ping), but it seems I need to reset it first.

Can you elaborate more on the "disconnect the power cords" method? Do I still need console access via serial line to confirm it?

or maybe there is some way to access this 15.99.111/24 network by configuring static routing?

I don't have a HP serial console cable at hand, so I would like to do it without it (only via LAN), if it's possible at all.

Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

You need a serial console yes, to reset the GSP with button press or gsp/reset commands.

If you know the full ip address of the gsp, your only other option is to change the ip of your network or at least one pc/laptop and use a cross over cable to the lan port. login and change it, then reset the gsp and change your pc ip back again.

The servers are meant to be configured first locally with serial console.

Andy
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

First, if the yellow "Remote" LED in the server's front panel is not lit, that means the GSP network port is disabled (=the factory default state). At that point, you'll *definitely* need the serial cable.

If the "Remote" LED is lit, there is hope.

For resetting the GSP passwords, you will definitely need local console access via serial line. There is no other way, for security reasons.

The default username/password depends on GSP firmware version: old ones may allow access with just pressing Enter to the username/password prompts if no passwords have been set. Newer versions may have a default username/password pair of Admin/Admin (case sensitive).

The best way to find out is to try it. Connect a PC directly to the GSP's network interface by a crossed network cable. Configure your PC temporarily for a static IP address of 15.99.111.y, and try pinging 15.99.111.x. If the last digit of the current GSP IP address is unknown, try pinging the broadcast address, 15.99.111.255: the GSP just might answer to a broadcast ping and reveal its IP address.

When the IP address of the GSP is known, use telnet to connect to it. Then it's the matter of knowing the correct username and password, or hoping that the defaults will work.

If you can get through, press Ctrl-B to access the GSP command prompt. The "HE" command (HElp) will also list the GSP firmware version number and your access level (the full Administrator or a limited Operator). Changing the GSP's network parameters with the LC command will require Admin-level access.

The short splitter cable (with the rev.B GSP, it should be black) that divides the 25-pin GSP serial port into three 9-pin serial lines labeled "Console", "Remote" and "UPS" is an important part of a rp5470 server. If you did not get it along with the server, you received less than a complete package.

If you have the splitter cable, a normal null modem cable works between its "Console" port and a regular PC.

MK
MK
Andy Kosela
Frequent Advisor

OK, thank you. I will try the "cross-over cable" method as I already determined the ip address of GSP LAN by looking at tcpdump and the remote led is on.

Also I'm disturbed by the fact that its fault led is red. Can it be on because there is no HP-UX installed or it can only means that there is some hardware fault inside the server?
Andy Kosela
Frequent Advisor

It seems my red fault LED and flashing run and attention LEDs can indicate boot error, so there is hope the hardware is OK.

http://docs.hp.com/en/A5191-96018/ch06s08.html
Andy Kosela
Frequent Advisor

I managed to access GSP LAN but it seems Admin/Admin and other similar configurations do not work.

15.99.111.x/24 is an internal HP Private LAN, standard for GSP. Unfortunately rp5470 do not have Customer LAN GSP.

I think it's some standard login/password used by HP Personnel.

Can anyone from HP support staff help me with this one?

My mail is akosela@andykosela.com
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

you really need a local serial terminal on it to see what is configured and what is not.

they can be configured for remote login by hp, and this is maybe what you are seeing?

the default passwords should be changed when set up initially and this is whty thy do not work as its a used server? this will need restting but again you need a local console.

until you can login to the gsp you are not going to know exactly what and how it is configured.

also i would not worry too much about the red led on. this will come on if the system is powered on and tries to boot, but cannot no OS is one of them. Again once in the gsp you can check the logs and cpu/psu/fans status.

Andy