108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

rp7420

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

rp7420

I was trying to understand something.I hope someone can help.When I have a partition with 2 cell boards and 4 dual procs ,what happens if the main proc goes down.Does the system automaticlly assign one of the other procs.Could someone shed some light on me on how this all works.

Thank you

Jon
5 REPLIES 5
Thayanidhi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: rp7420

Main processor from which partition?
All new series systems has a feature called processor de-allocation. If a processor fails, then that is de-allocated and system would continue.

Is this you are looking for?

Partition is npar or vpar?

Regds
TT
Attitude (not aptitude) determines altitude.
Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

That has helped.One other question.Since it is dual procs if one goes down and you only have a one dual proc system does the system de-allocate one proc and allocate the second proc?Or since it is one dual proc does it de-allocate both and shut the system down.

I hope I am asking this correctly,thanks for you help

Jon
timmy b.
Honored Contributor

Jon,
I know that you understand that these systems are not using just one of their processors. All processors assigned to a partition share the load to one degree or another. If you lose a processor, chances are good that you are going to get a reboot and the system will come back up on it's remaining cpus, minus the the lost one(s).

Now, on a dual core processor module, you may or may not lose both processors if there is a problem in that module. It will depend on where the problem is located. If it's located within a specific core, you may only lose that one cpu. If it's in cache, chances are good that the module will deallocate.

Get the idea? I hope this helps.

Good Luck - Tim
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand Binary, and those who don't.
Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

Thank you both for you help,I believe I have it now.

Jon
Jon Steele
Valued Contributor

Thank you
Jon