Joe Sullivan
Occasional Advisor

rp8400 MP question...

I'm having issues with my rp8400 mp. I have a local
console attached and after MP reset, the console displays:

"Attached TCP/IP interface to unit0. Attaching interface lo0...done

Adding 9440 symbols for standalone
Initializing hardware manager...

Cabinet ID register reports system is a rp8400.

Then nothing happens after these messages...

I'm locally attached due to the fact that I don't have network connectivitiy to the MP.

Please advise.
3 REPLIES 3
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

Re: rp8400 MP question...

When you say "locally attached" do you mean you are connection a termina with a serial connection, you are connected to the MP-LAN port via an RJ-45 cable between your laptop and this port ?

locally attached: I have an HP dumb terminal with serial cable connecting to the "local console" port on the MP card.

Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

I am assuming when you say a dumb HP terminal, you are referring to the Terminal type 700/96. On these terminals, there is a softkey menu which lets you change your terminal type. It has been a long time since I have used an actual h/w terminal. So I do not remember anymore which key but should be simple to find for you.

More than likely, someone prior to yourself, has changed the terminal setting, either on the terminal side or on the MP board. Now, the two can not talk to each other. Try changing the terminal type to 700/96. If it is already at this setting, then try some vt100, vt220 settings, until you see some further messages coming to your screen.

Unlikely but not totally impossible reason for this behavior, might be a bad MP board. If you have an HP support contract, you might want a technician to come out and check it.