1751915 Members
5049 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: rp8400 with intermittent bad fan

oogiejonz
Occasional Contributor

rp8400 with intermittent bad fan

I have an rp8400 that is sending out period messages saying BLOWR_FAIL A cabinet fan has failed. This is generally followed by several messages over the few minutes or hour that the temperature in the cabinet is too hot. But when I check the fan status and temperature via MP everything looks good. I can't tell from the error message which fan is having the problem. Can anyone give me some suggestions on how to find this? The error messages have been coming out for the past 4 days, but on an average just once a day. It looks like the fan is acting up, then is ok when I check via MP.
6 REPLIES 6
Eric Jacklin
Regular Advisor

Log a ticket with HP Services So that they will help you out to diagnos it further.

Becuase Some Model Specific detail diagnos details are only avilable with internal resource.

Niceguy_2
Advisor

Hi Oogiejonz,

The MP SL log we can find which fan has problem by using HPMC decoder software to decode the log and find out which fan has problem.Just log a call with HP they will ask to send the SL logs and the event log and syslog output .So you can confirm from HP which Fan is failed and after that you can replace the fan.

Regards,
Niceguy
unixguy_1
Regular Advisor

Hi Niceguy,

can u guide me something

what's meaning of SL log and HPMC Decoder?

Regards,
Unixguy.

Niceguy_2
Advisor

Hi Unixguy,

The SL logs are system events hardware error generated in Management Port.Take the SL log output and send this log to HP they can find the hardware error in the server.

HPMC - High Priority Machine Check. Look at /var/tombstone/ts99 file. It will have more issue like CPU,memory and i/0 related issues. Most probablly it has hardware related problem and Some kind hardware has failed that requires the OS to crash you can also check any crash file in /var/adm/crash

Regards,
Niceguy
Sherif A. Louis
Valued Contributor

type sl and dump all the error messages and post them here please.
also send us the output of "ps" and "df" commands from the command menu in the MP.
cnb
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Check your f/w versions. See this thread:
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=363467

In addition to the SL log file and PS command information, you also may want to run this to see if anything is being logged to the o/s:

echo "sel dev all;info;wait;il"|/usr/sbin/cstm > /tmp/info_all.log

# cat /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log | grep EMS

then check details in here:

/var/opt/resmon/log/event.log

HTH,