New Discussion юеВ

Determine I/O rates on Fibre Channel HBA? HP-UX

SOLVED
Go to solution
John J Read
Frequent Advisor

Determine I/O rates on Fibre Channel HBA? HP-UX

Hello,

I have Glance and MeasureWare ( Perf Agent ) on my HP-UX 11i server but I can't seem to find any metrics for i/o throughput for each HBA on the system. I use PVLINKS to manually load balance disk paths but just alternate half on one path and half on the other. I am trying determine of more HBA's or EMC PowerPath software will help my i/o performance but have found nothing to tell me how busy the HBA cards are. Any ideas?

thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
Mark Greene_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Determine I/O rates on Fibre Channel HBA? HP-UX

you can run fcmsutil /dev/td[n] stat to get a report of basic statistics (mostly error counts). There's nothing that's going to give you bandwidth on the HP side. Depending on the fibre switches you are using there may be something there. I assume you have an EMC SAN; if it's a clariion, you can run navisphere analyzer (if you've purchased that) and get some bandwith info.

I would go with Powerpath before more HBA's, cause then you'll have load balancing for all I/O all the time, regardless of what LUNS are primary through which paths.

mark
the future will be a lot like now, only later
George Neill
Trusted Contributor

In glance if you press a "u" it will display i/o by disk device. You can print snap shots of this when your disks are busy. As the hardware path to each disk is listed you can identify which disks are on which HBA and total up the i/o rate from each disk to get a good approximation of what each HBA is doing. Also "sar -d" can be used to capture simular information to a file that can be examed and calculations made. The gentalman above is right about powerpath. It will use all available paths to maximize thru-put.

George
Tim D Fulford
Honored Contributor

Hi

MeasureWare is what you need to use. use the BYDSK_ metrics to print out each disk. Yoy can print the device as well e.g. 0/0/10/0.1.42.1.0.0.1 The first pat (with "/") is the H/W address. Now simply add these up.. I actually do this in Excel and the attached file convers MWA *.asc into individual files. It assumes you have run the following extract...

extract -xp -gancduz -r rep-gancduz.txt -b -e

Once you have al the dskXX.txt files import them into Excel & add up the relavent sheets...

Regards

Tim
-