Operating System - HP-UX
1748268 Members
3520 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP-UX B.11.31 U ia64 freezes

Rodrigo1

HP-UX B.11.31 U ia64 freezes

nothing unix comands works, and the new conections ssh dont be can stablish (and never apear timeout window), we have 2 instalations of Oracle, one of them is 12c and the other is 19c, the last we have instaled is 19c and after this the server freeze without reason. There are any Kernel parameters or another thing what need review? 

Then we killed the OS PID for 19c,  and the server unix revives

PD: we have a Service Request  to oracle in order to check if the problem is due to them

2 REPLIES 2

Re: HP-UX B.11.31 U ia64 freezes

>>nothing unix comands works,

but:

>>Then we terminated  the OS PID for 19c,  and the server unix revives

So the terminate command is a UNIX command and clearly that worked? So I suspect what you mean is commands are working, but they are taking an age to respond?

There are lost of things that could cause this, but given the issue occurrs when you start Oracle, I think the first thing I'd think about is memory - are you sure that your DBAs haven't made an error in their Oracle parameters so that the database isn't trying to start with a SGA which is far too large for the available memory in the system? That would instantly cause significant paging to occur which usually make a system look like it is "freezing" Hav the DBAs taken into account there are now 2 databases on this system, not just 1?

There could be a hundred other reasons for this, but memory is I think where I'd start.

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
KishJ
HPE Pro

Re: HP-UX B.11.31 U ia64 freezes

Greetings,

Oracle has its own requirements, that is where I would start. Check its documentation, particularly for any prerequisites etc.

As for HP-UX, ensure the current SW installed are error-free. You can check it using:

# swverify \*

It should be error free, check the resulting swjob syntax for details.

Hope it helps, please keep us posted.

I am a HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo