108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to node-partition an rp8420?

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Wood_4
Frequent Advisor

How to node-partition an rp8420?

I've got an rp8420 that has 16 CPUs. It came configured as two partitions of 8 CPUs. I want to configure it as 1 node-partition of 16 CPUs. I've got as far as creating a Genesis Partition of one cell of 4 CPUs. I don't know what to do next to add the other cells. One reference (HP-UX CSE book) says I should HP-UX o/s commands (parstatus, parcreate, parmgr), but when I try this I get
"Error: Unsupported platform. Command aborted. (-12)".
(HP-UX o/s is 11.11).

I've scanned http://www.docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/5990-8170A/5990-8170A.html "Admin for nPartitions", but I'm still not sure if I need to use GSP, BCH or HP-UX commands to node-partition the rp8420. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
John
6 REPLIES 6
eran maor
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi

Check to see if the driver hd_fabric is installed.

if this driver is not install you will get this error message .

NOTE: Adding the hd_fabric driver to the kernel will require a rebuild of the kernel and a reboot.

eran maor
love computers
John Wood_4
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the reply. My kernel does NOT have hd_fabric. (I used a golden image from another PA-RISC system to install the genesis partition on the rp8420).

How do I add hd_fabric to my kernel? When I do SAM -> KernelConfig -> Drivers, hd_config is not listed.

Regards,
John
John Wood_4
Frequent Advisor

Sorry about the typo in my previous reply when I said hd_config: I meant hd_fabric.

I found my old HP-UX notes & did "system_prep", "vi /stand.build/system", "mk_kernel", etc., and rebooted from the new kernel. SAM still does not list hd_fabric as a kernel driver, but it is in /stand/system, and "# parstatus" now gives me some output.

I'll play around with the par* commands to hopefully get a 16-CPU nPar.
John Wood_4
Frequent Advisor

Sorted now.

I did "# parmodify -p 0 -a 0/1:::" to add the second cell, and repeated for the third & fourth cells. Then after "# reboot -R" I now have a single partition of 16 CPUs.

Thanks for your help.
Michael Duthie
Trusted Contributor

John,

Glad you got there in the end. Do you know about /opt/bin/parmgr ? GUI Parition Manager. OK it takes the fun away but when you just need a job done and don't have time to sit down and read the parcreate man page it works a treat :-)

Mike
John Wood_4
Frequent Advisor

Yes I'm aware of the parmgr GUI, and of the web-based interface. But I'm accessing the rp8420 through a firewall so I'm limited to Telnet access.