3821 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle 81.7.2 on HP-UX 11i

Janice_4
Occasional Contributor

Oracle 81.7.2 on HP-UX 11i

Hi guys

Can some body help me with with the following asap?

Is HP-UX 1i one of those operating systems,which not allow Oracle to allocate space
for the tempfile until the tempfile blocks are actually accessed.

As I read in documentation his delay in space allocation results in faster creation and resizing of tempfiles, but it requires that sufficient disk space is available when
the tempfiles are later used. Oracle's advise was to refer to your operating system
documentation to determine whether Oracle allocates tempfile space in this way on your system.

don't know
2 REPLIES 2

Hi,

my experience with all versions of HPUX is that all Oracle datafiles are pre-allocated upon creation... I do not know of any option that would result in bypassing this behavior.
Together we stand divided we fall
Brian Crabtree
Honored Contributor

This is true. The temp files created with the "CREATE TEMPORARY TABLESPACE" command are not pre-allocated. What this means is that as the temp space is being used, it will allocate the blocks from the O/S. This allows for a faster file creation for sort segments.

On the other hand, this means that you can completely fill a filesystem if not paying attention to your file placement, as you can fill up what appears to be "available" space, and a large query can try to allocate more blocks than available on the disk.

I would suggest if you are using them, to create specific directories for the temp files to be kept in, so that normal files are not used with it.
ie: /var/opt/oracle/temp01/ORCL/temp_01.dbf

Brian