Re: Quorum Server for mc service guard

SOLVED
Go to solution
Shivkumar
Super Advisor

Quorum Server for mc service guard

Hello,

We are analyzing the impact of installing
Quorum Server on a separate hpux 11i machine. This machine is a pa-risc hpux 11i production server.

Can someone suggest what would be the impact of this on existing production server ??

Any suggestion appreciable.
Thanks in advance,
Shiv
9 REPLIES 9
Cem Tugrul
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Shiv,
http://docs.hp.com/en/ha.html#Quorum%20Server
go to link and see about Quorum server
pdf

Good Luck,
Our greatest duty in this life is to help others. And please, if you can't
Florian Heigl (new acc)
Honored Contributor

I'd rather set up an old A-class system as the quorum server so You're sure it won't be down for hardware upgrades or whatever might become neccessary on the production host.

on the other hand, negative impact is minimal.
yesterday I stood at the edge. Today I'm one step ahead.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

A little Linux box makes an excellent quorum server.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Devesh Pant_1
Esteemed Contributor

the Quorum server is to fulfil the quorum as the name says.

DP
Kent Ostby
Honored Contributor

Shiv --

This document discusses differences between Quorem server and Lock Disk:

UMCSGKBRC00012642

http://www2.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/search.do?category=c0&mode=id&searchString=UMCSGKBRC00012642&searchCrit=allwords&docType=EngineerNotes&search.x=24&search.y=14
"Well, actually, she is a rocket scientist" -- Steve Martin in "Roxanne"
Mahesh Kumar Malik
Honored Contributor

Hi Shiv

You need Qourum server if there are more than two nodes in a cluster. There will not be any impact on your existing production server by configuring it as Qourum server. However a low end server is recommended for such operations.

Regards
Mahesh
Jaime Bolanos Rojas.
Honored Contributor

There is just one more point to think about, and it's that you are using a HA environment, so the server that you are going to use, let it be a small linux box or a produccion server it has to play with the same rules as the other machines in the cluster, it needs rudandancy in case the Quorum Server is going to fail for any reason.
Work hard when the need comes out.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Actually the quorum servers does not need to be nearly as robust as the cluster itself. It is only needed when the cluster tries to reform and there are two equally size groups of nodes trying to reform the cluster.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Marlou Everson
Trusted Contributor

The quorum server has very little impact. I put mine on a 11.11 system for a 11.0 cluster. I did not have a little box available to put it on. I decided to put it on our newest system since the quorum server has such little impact and the newest system had the most redundancy builtin (power suppplies, etc.) compared to my older systems.

I also configured it with a logical IP and installed the software on another system so that I could easily start it up on another system if the current one was going to be down a long time. I have successfully moved the quorum server to another system several times while the cluster was up.

Marlou