Operating System - HP-UX
1751976 Members
4544 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: What is best for UX 11.11 - Cold-install or Update?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Randy Hagedorn
Regular Advisor

What is best for UX 11.11 - Cold-install or Update?

HI,

I am about to upgrade from 11.0 to 11.11 of UX.

Is is best to upgrade with a cold-install or update. It would seem that a Cold-Install is potentially dangerous, due to the loss of log files, email, forgotten, scripts, applications, etc that will occur. How do you know if you have saved everything? Isn't this method a bit drastic?

Which method do most of you use for upgrading the OS / OE?

Thanks,
Dewy
4 REPLIES 4
John Poff
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Dewy,

We are getting ready to take a box from 11.00 to 11.i this Saturday, and we are going with the cold install. We'll have plenty of good backups and Ignite tapes made so that we can grab what we need if we miss it. We've done some 10.20 to 11.00 upgrades recently and we do cold installs there also. It is much cleaner and easier to deal with knowing that you have a fresh install. With an upgrade, you'll never know if you really updated everything. When weird problems pop up, I like to cut down on the variables. I'll go for the cold install everytime.

JP
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Unlike the 10.20 to 11.0 upgrade, the 11.0 to 11.11 does work if and only if you have plenty of space in / and /stand (~ 50 MB or so extra for each above the default size) and to some extent a good bit of extra space in /usr. If you created your 11.0 system with near default sizes then forget it - it ain't gonna work.

My favorite method is to cold-install on a different disk and then if I need anything else I can mount the old disk as /oldroot (e.g.) and get anythingI've forgotten.

In any event, whether you choose an upgrade or a cold-install 1) Make a regular backup 2) Do a make_tape_recovery

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Dewy,

Although I've personally done & know those who've done 11.0 -> 11i upgrades w/o major problems, I'd still recommend a cold upgrade because of the advantages you get from a fresh, clean install.

Remember make_tape_recovery - AT LEAST TWICE & fbackup everything (twice) not in vg00.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Lisa  Mauer
Regular Advisor

Hi Dewy:
I did an 11.0 to 11i upgrade and it went pretty smooth, here are some links that I posted with successes and problems - We also had to increase /stand before the upgrade...Hope they help. :)
Upgrade
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xabbc0bce6f33d6118fff0090279cd0f9,00.html

Increase of /stand
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xd1d6d08cc06fd511abcd0090277a778c,00.html

Problems we had with a library that 3rd party software was referencing and 11i made that a non-global library, needed a site specific patch.
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xcce0fef4d250d611abdb0090277a778c,00.html

Thanks!
Lisa