1752279 Members
4392 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Where is the information?????

Kjell Mesch_1
Occasional Advisor

Where is the information?????

I'm searching and clicking and searching and......

Whatever I do I can't seem to find any good structured information on HP 700 series severs/workstations.
Everything I find is how to install HPUX on the freaking thing or patching or something else software related.

Try you self.
Misson impossible: Finding HW information on older HP servers using the search engines on HP site.

What I want is some general HW information.

Example:
Model: Series 700
cpu: 710: xxx at xxx Mhz, xxxkb cache
712: xxxxxxxx
715: xxxx
Mem: 710: standard xxMb, max xxMb ECC SIM
712: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A picture would be nice.
What is this A,B,C,D,E-class server?
What is 3000/9000?

When I get hold of a old machine from HP there is no freqing 9000 J-class sticker on it. No it simply says Apollo 700-series on the front and then a sticker on the bottom that say Model:710 for example.

I can't say that the HP site does anything else but suck.
A good start is man man
6 REPLIES 6
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

Maybe this will (at least) get you started. From the ITRC HOME page choose Maintenance/Support -> Browse Support Information by Product -> HP Workstations [fill in the dropdown information here, and click "GO"].

For example, I chose "HP 9000 B/C/J Classes", clicked "GO" and then chose "C-Class" / HP9000 Mdl C110 (PA 7200 - 120MHz) SPU (A4200A).

At this point, just the "Overview" document showed table after table of goodies, including the fact that clock speeds range from 100 to 160 MHz; memory for the high-end can range from 32MG to 1GB in increments of 32, 64, 128 or 256; the operating temperature range is +5C to +40C, etc., etc.

Is this what you are seeking?

...JRF...
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again):

BTW, 3000 machines support the HP proprietary OS known as MPE/iX. 9000-servers are UNIX servers.

Your Apollo workstation information can be found under HP 9000/7xx Series -> 710 Series following the route in my post above.

...JRF...
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

For a history document on HP workstations, you can get a copy of the Compatibility reference document at:

ftp://contrib:9unsupp8@hprc.external.hp.com/supguides/workstations

Some of the models you are looking for are no longer manufactured so the main web site won't have a lot of information.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Kjell Mesch_1
Occasional Advisor

James.
This info I can't find. Iguess I'll have to pay money to see it. (Shame on HP)
A good start is man man
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The 9000/710 is a very old system which first appeared about 1992 or so. Web docs in that era would have been just marketing information. The technical docs were not written in HTML or even SGML at that time frame so locating hardware/owner's docs will have to be on paper.

However, I doubt there are any paper docs for sale...this is a really old system (in computer years). And the 710 is really slow and limited compared to today's workstations.

The ftp site listed in the previous post will be yuor best source of information.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Cheryl Griffin
Honored Contributor

From www.docs.hp.com select System Hardware. From this site you will find documentation for current HP Hardware products.

Pictures, specifications, etc are provided here:
Workstations
http://www.hp.com/workstations/

Servers
http://www.unixservers.hp.com/
"Downtime is a Crime."