SOLVED
Go to solution
Tarek
Super Advisor

Re: xntpd daemon

Thanks Pedro!!
in the line:
export NTPDATE_SERVER= ntpserverip
Now can i configure about 8-9 clients to point to that server? If i want to make two servers, how can clients point to both servers? And does i have to configure the second server to point to the first server?
Pedro Sousa
Honored Contributor

Hi again.
I have 2 ntp servers syncronizing with +/- 30 clients.
The 2nd server syncronizes by the 1st one. and the 1st one, is the only one that syncronizes with himself.
The clients point to the 2 servers (you can change the order in /etc/ntp.conf to split the traffic), this way, whennever one is unavailable they'll sync by the 2nd one.
Remember, this is one way of doing it, but if you wanna try other ones, read the docs given by JRF.

regards
Sachin Patel
Honored Contributor

Hi Tarak,
You can setup second server to be same as first or you can point second server to first and then add client who point to second server.
If you have one master server and couple secondary server and number of client then
The best way to setup NTP is one master server and few secondary server then point all client to secondary.

On master's ntp.conf
server ip_of_external_source
peer ip_of_secondary_server
peer ip_of_another_secondary

On secondary's ntp.conf
peer ip_of_master_server
peer ip_of_secondary

on client's ntp.conf
server ip_of_secondary

Sachin

Is photography a hobby or another way to spend $
Tarek
Super Advisor

Thanks all again. I have to use Pedro's tips instead pointing to external server because i think i'm not allowed to syncronize with the external, because of i'm behind a firewall. So my ntp server will syncronize itself..but this will be very risk, because if my ntp server wrongs, all my clients will wrong. How can i configure my ntp server to synconize with an external one? I saw JRF tips at this site http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/clock1.htm ... what i have to do..just put in my /etc/ntp.conf one of those ip addresses? Sorry if I always ask you, but it's the first time that i'm trying to configure ntp...
Deshpande Prashant
Honored Contributor

HI
If your machine is behind the fire wall, to pull clock from external automatic source, besides just adding entry in ntp.conf file, you will need to open up firewall for this machine.

Prashant.
Take it as it comes.
Tarek
Super Advisor

I configured 1 ntp server..i want configure 2 ntp peers and then all clients pointing to ntp peers. How should i configure ntp peers? Do i have to put in the /etc/rc.config.d/netdaemons in NTPDATE_SERVER the IP address of the master? In this case, if the master is down, how can peers synchronize?
I issued the command on the ntp master:
ntpq -p and under st (stratum) i have the value 3. But if i issue ntpq -c rv i have written stratum=4..so which is my real stratum??