108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: System Clock on 969KS/200

SOLVED
Go to solution
Fred Metcalf
Trusted Contributor

System Clock on 969KS/200

Regarding the System Clock that maintains time when the Operating System is running:
The system clock on our 969KS/200 is gaining about 4,78 hours per day. A reboot sets the time right again. This display is at 6:15 PM local time, the clock gained 21 min in 1,75 hr:
PUB:print logdcc
========== THU, APR 19, 2001, 4:33 PM
PUB:showclock
SYSTEM TIME: THU, APR 19, 2001, 6:36:47 PM
CURRENT TIME CORRECTION: 0 SECONDS
TIME ZONE: 2 HOURS 0 MINUTES EASTERN HEMISPHERE

This is after a major repair with the HP CE replacing the system backplane and core io card. Can this be fixed with a simple recalibration or must the backplane be replaced? How do I know if the correct backplane was used?
Missing MPE :-)
5 REPLIES 5
paul courry
Honored Contributor

I think you'll find the answer you see in the following document

http://us-support2.external.hp.com/cki/bin/doc.pl/sid=fef553ea1d9d4ceefa/screen=ckiDisplayDocument?docId=200000048870449

document Id: MPEKBRC00000096

There are two clocks in the HP3000 as you know, the hardware clock and the software clock. CLKUTIL is used from the ISL> prompt to set the hardware clock while SETCLOCK is used from the : prompt to set the software clock. The paper noted above is not a bad tutorial on the subject.

For your clocks I *think* your syntax would be (using your post and the paper described above)

:SETCLOCK;TIMEZONE=E2:00
:SETCLOCK DATE=mm/dd/yy;TIME=hh:mm;NOW

The first sets your timezone and the second sets the date and time. For the TZ variable I suggest you search ITRC, there are tables of valid values out there.

Let me know how it goes!
Kwan Fong, Emile
Honored Contributor

If your system clock is gaining time, I would suggest to place a hardware call to callibrate the crystal clock on the system backplane. The HP Customer Engineer will need the support tape to run SS-CONFIG.
King is the customer!
Fred Metcalf
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the info, unfortunately I cannot follow your link because I am not registered on the US site. My problem has been solved by changing the (ss_config) systemclock value from the default 100 to 120 (actual CPU speed). This seems to be required for HP 3000 9x9KS systems only.
Missing MPE :-)
paul courry
Honored Contributor

Attached is the HP document for systems clocks in HTML format. Sorry you are not registered on the US site.
paul courry
Honored Contributor
Solution

P.S.

SSCONFIG? Isn't that the program that you get 5 years in prison for just for knowing how how to spell the name?

I've heard that HP will send in an FBI SWAT Team to your business if they even suspect that you know anything about it.

How would I know about this? Would you like to see my layoff slip?