1753359 Members
5022 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: remote command

Ginette Vincent
Occasional Advisor

remote command

REMOTE NOT RESPONDING, DATA SEND FAILED (VT ERROR 040)
This message is received on a dsline from sys A to sys B.

I do not receive this message doing a DSLINE the opposite direction (from B to A)
6 REPLIES 6
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Ginette Vincent
Occasional Advisor

I still receive the same message trying a second and third remote. Still same message.
Alan Porter
Occasional Advisor

Ginette,

Do you have NS3000 software on System B? Is the IP address setup in NSDIR for System A on System B?
Alan Porter
Occasional Advisor

Ginette,

Sorry, My last question should have asked... is the IP for system B in the NSDIR on system A? You could check this by going in to NMMGR, F2 to open directory, then F1 to update dir. The node name for system B should be listed. Type this NODE name in, then F6 to modify, if you want to check the IP that is asigned to this entry.
Dan Clifford
Esteemed Contributor

Have you tried using nettool.net.sys to ping system B from system A?
RUN NETTOOL.NET.SYS
PING
PING
Name or address of destination

If the PING fails then you could be having problems resolving the node name for SYSTEM B from SYSTEM A. Maybe an entry got deleted from the Network Directory on SYSTEM A that points to SYSTEM B. If the PING succeeds then check the IP address that is returned to make sure it is the correct IP address of SYSTEM B. If you do have an entry in the NETWORK Directory for SYSTEM B make sure the Transport Service Flags are set to Y-N-Y. If you don't have an entry in the Network Directory for SYSTEM B on SYSTEM A try adding one and see if this solves the problem.
Ginette Vincent
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your responses everyone. Let me perhaps provide you with a summary of events. This may be helpful.
System A is our Production and System B(connected thru fiber at a seperate location)is used as our Development system.
Encountered a power failure. System A was gracefully shutdown prior to the UPS running out of power. System B did not shutdown because it has dual power on the UPS, therefore was never shutdown.
Although when System A was rebooted (by Operator)it appears that sysstart did not execute therefore netcontrol and nscontrol commands were executed manually afterstartup
Since this occurence, I can remote from system B to A but cannot remote from A to B. A ping through NETTOOL is fine executed from both systems. It returns the proper address. These 2 systems are both managed through DTC Manager and Openview.
In addition the switch between the two systems also did loose power. Since the power failure,I restarted the NETWORK SERVICES on System A but not System B.

No configurations changes have been made from the previous 6 months or so.