HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage
1753481 Members
4062 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

1x 3PAR 8440 (2node) w/ 2 Enclosures -> 1x 3PAR 8440 (2node) w/ 4 Enclosures Upgrade

SOLVED
Go to solution
3parquest
Occasional Visitor

1x 3PAR 8440 (2node) w/ 2 Enclosures -> 1x 3PAR 8440 (2node) w/ 4 Enclosures Upgrade

Hello, we are planning an upgrade 1x 3PAR 8440 (2node) w/ 2 Enclosures -> 1x 3PAR 8440 (2node) w/ 4 Enclosures. All enclosures ar SFF.

Can anyone share their experience on how to perform this action Online, which cables should be unplugged / plugged before? The "red" or "green" ones? Or this does not matter?

Should we, while upgrading, connect / cable both new enclosures or do it one by one?

Thanks, any help woud be appreciated 

6 REPLIES 6
sbhat09
HPE Pro

Re: 1x 3PAR 8440 (2node) w/ 2 Enclosures -> 1x 3PAR 8440 (2node) w/ 4 Enclosures Upgrade

Hello,

Adding 2 more enclosures will be an online process. The existing connections may not be disturbed unless you have to make any configuration changes with existing enclosures. So no cables to be unplugged from existing enclosures. You will have to connect new cables from additional enclosures to the node pair.

Regards,

Srinivas

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

3parquest
Occasional Visitor

Re: 1x 3PAR 8440 (2node) w/ 2 Enclosures -> 1x 3PAR 8440 (2node) w/ 4 Enclosures Upgrade

Hello  sbhat09, thank yo for the quick response, sorry, I typoed wrong the path .. we are going from 1x 3PAR 8440 (2node) w/ 3 Enclosures -> 1x 3PAR 8440 (2node) w/ 5 Enclosures Upgrade.

So 2 enclosures are beeing added, but instead of having 2 initially, we do have 3 enclosures. Sorry again for the mixup.

sbhat09
HPE Pro

Hello,

Still no problem! No need to unplug anything from the existing enclosures. You just have to connect additional enclosures with new cables to the node pair.

Regards,

Srinivas

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

3parquest
Occasional Visitor

Strange, because, when I look at the Cabling guide, the cable from E3 in OLD (current) settup is connected to E5 in NEW (Expected) setup, so I probably should unplug it at some time. Or am I looking at this the wrong way?

I attached an image so you know what I mean. -> 3PAR Setup 

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

According to the picture you sent you first extend the red loop, then open and extend the green loop, then run admithw and upgradecage.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
3parquest
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the replay. Is there any particular order regarding the green cables? Safe to say that probably should be done one by one?

Thanks