New Discussion

Re: 3PAR_8200 - Snapshot With RedHatKVM

SOLVED
Go to solution
Cykani
Occasional Advisor

3PAR_8200 - Snapshot With RedHatKVM

Hello Guys,

In our environment, we have a 3PAR 8200 (3.2.2) and 3 hypervisor on RedHat in a cluster.
Only one virtual volume is exported to them (Messaging_vv).
We had some issues on filesystems which obliged us to create a snapshot of this volume: Messaging_vv.180909183000

Fortunately, everything is fixed now and I want to know what I have to do with this snapshot :
- Remove it by CLI using removevv?
- Promote it using promotesv?
Where are located the new files written on this volume?

Thank you for your help

2 REPLIES 2
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro
Solution

You should take a look at the HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage Concepts Guide, specifically the section on "Virtual copy snapshots".

New files are written to the volume that is exported to the host. As I understand it, that would be "Messaging_vv".
You created a snapshot, "Messaging_vv.180909183000", but it reads like that was not exported, effectively making it a point-in-time image of "Messaging_vv".
The new files are on "Messaging_vv".

Promotesv would cause the snapshot, "Messaging_vv.180909183000" to overwrite the base volume destroying the new files.

Since you no longer need the snapshot, simply removevv Messaging_vv.180909183000

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Cykani
Occasional Advisor

Hello Sheldon,

Thank you for your answer!

It is clear now for me.