108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: 3PAR 8200 expansion

SOLVED
Go to solution
Paolo_c
Valued Contributor

3PAR 8200 expansion

We have x2 3PAR 8200's spread across x2 Co-Lo's. One of the 3PAR's (uk1) consists of x96 600gGb SAS 15K Drives (mostly) configured R6 ThP across x4 Drives Enclosures x2 Controller Nodes.  The other 3 Par (UK2) consists of x48 600 Gb SAS 25K  drives  spread across x3 enclosures (x2 nodes).  Currently there is 15.0TB capacity free on the 1st 3PAR (containing 896 drives) and 14.3 TB capacity free on the other 3PAR (containing 48 drives) . below

ScreenHunter 1609.png

The question i have concerns expansion.  In the short term we're looking to increase the storage presented to one of the 3pars above by approx 2 Tb's. Given that the Historical capacity /average usage rate ( used capacity RAW/ Total Capacity (RAW) on each 3PAR hasnt fluctuated that much over the past year (outside of any additional storge which we've presented), I was considering creating the additional x2 Tb's of VV's using the storage already presented to the 1st 3PAR (containing x96 drives/4 cages), which would bring free capacity down to around 25% from current 29.3 %).  I am happy to allocate this additional storage this way but just wanted to enquire whether there is a Total capacity usage beyond which it is not advisable to exceed ? Allocating additional x2 Tb's on 3PAR UK1 would raise overall usage/allocation to around 75% which to me looks ok ? I've included some screesnhots below for the 3PAR uk1  on which I'm considering presenting the additional 2 Tb's. 

ScreenHunter 1610.png

ScreenHunter 1611.png

My 2nd question concerns overall physical expansion of our x2 3PAR's.  I was just wondering (if required) how many additional drive enclosures and disks each of our x3PAR 8200's could accomodate /support under our exisitng 2 Node per 8200 exisiting configuration.  

Regards

Paul 

4 REPLIES 4
Paolo_c
Valued Contributor
Solution

I just found some information from HP online (below) which indicates that a 3PAR 8200 would support expansion to 9 drive enclosures (with 4 connected to one controller node and 5 to the other). 

Paolo_c
Valued Contributor

Assuming anyone is still reading this post, i would still be interested to learn whether there is a particular storage allocation threhold level on a 3PAR,  beyond which it is not adviseable to exceed ?  For example our x2 3pars each show a total capacity allocation of 70% and 44% respectively.  Although there is sufficient space/chunklets available on each 3par to provision an additional 14Tb's of VV's , I thought it might be more prudent to set the bar at around 80% allocation on each 3PAR so that we're not in danger of over allocating/consuming too much space. Also if we set the bar at around 80% total allocation (with corresponding warning alerts triggered when it exceeds this threshold), it would enable us to manage the 3PAR more effectively and with less risk ?

Mahesh202
HPE Pro

Hi Paolo_c

Thank you for coming on community forum.

I would suggest you to go ahead and allocate upto 90% of your storage space. Also kindly refer to below mentioned link.

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04607918

Hope this helps.

Regards
Mahesh202

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Paolo_c
Valued Contributor

Hi Mahesh202,

Yes that helps. Thanks for the feedback.

Regards

Paolo_c