1753536 Members
6880 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

3PAR capacity query

marcymarc24
Occasional Contributor

3PAR capacity query

So I can understand 3PAR capacity and what is reported could someone explain the storage I have available to me...I have a CPG which is showing zero estimated space in the NL tier (RAID1)

I have another 2 NL CPGs on the same system using a different RAID set have 12Tb of space available.

Would the capacity from the the other NL CPGs be available to the RAID 1 CPG? 

5 REPLIES 5
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Re: 3PAR capacity query

One would *think* so, but no. It depends on

• sizes of the NL drives and whether or not some were added to the initial system
  • how the CPGs are defined; HA cage vs mag, RAID type, set size, and any other filters that may have been applied to each CPG

It might be possible to edit the CPGs after reviewing your system to take advantage of the 12 TB free you mentioned. 3PAR Support should be able to help you.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

I would suggest you to follow below command to understand raw space tier wise and where your raw space is getting used or allocated in the entire system,

showpd -c

showpd -c -p -devtype NL

showpd -c -p -devtype FC

showpd -c -p -devtype SSD

showsys -space

If you want to understand logical space or CPG wise space then follow below command,

showspace -cpg <CPG_name>

Please note for each tier total space of the system is same. Now what you see for each CPG depend on what all parameters defined in each CPG. For example, you have total 15TB raw space in NL tier and you have three NL CPGs, one with RAID5, one with RAID6 and another with RAID1. So above command will show different "LDFRee" because of CPG parameters defined (it's not only RAID). So basically same NL space showing in different sizes as per CPG parameter in respective CPGs.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
marcymarc24
Occasional Contributor

So even though I see no free space for this CPG, it will still grow but in a degraded state?  We have three different CPGs for the NL tier each with different parameters.

Without seeing CPG parameters defined it's difficult to say but technically in your case I am assuming the CPG where no space shows, HA defined as cage. In that case any new IO comes for VVs created from this CPG will be written to new LDs and you will get alert like CPG grow with degraded parameters which will be nothing but HA cage to HA mag CPG will grow. 

This is because technically in your system have enough chunklets to create new LD space to write data IOs. It's just that CPG parameters defined not able to reflect that space.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo

@marcymarc24 

Can you please help us to understand if the issue got resolved or not?

If issue got resolved then how? This will help for everyone who are all following your forum.

Also request you to mark the forum as resolved if there is no more outstanding query from your end on this issue.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo