New Discussion

Re: 3PAR degraded/failed disk workflow

SOLVED
Go to solution
Aissa
Frequent Advisor

3PAR degraded/failed disk workflow

Hello,

we have several 8450 and need to know what is the worklow when a disk become degraded and then failed.

What is the array doing when the disk is degraded (relocation ?)

What is the array doing when the disk is failed ?

thank you

4 REPLIES 4
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro
Solution

Take a look at the HPE 3PAR StoreServ Sparing Technologies technical papers available via the Hewlett Packard Enterprise Information Library. While it was written looking at the 10000, everything still applies.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

AshrafK
HPE Pro

In 3PAR, physical disks are at the lowest level of data structure. The next is Chunklets. In StoreServ, a chunklet is 1GB of contiguous space on a physical disk. RAID is implemented at the chunklet level.

For any RAID implementation, 3PAR takes a specific number of chunklets including parity.

If any PD has an issue, then Servicemag will automatically start moving the chunklets to spare chunklets. During this process, the PD will be reported as degraded.

If the servicemag is in progress, then wait for it to complete and then PD will be reported as failed. Then, it is safe for the replacement.

Few helpful commands:-

cli% showpd -failed – degraded

cli% servicemag status

Ashraf Khan
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Aissa
Frequent Advisor

Hi, 

thank you for you quick responce, really apreciated. The documentation is very good.

Thanks to the auther response with the command i already know.

i looked once on the event log and cant find the date and time about the end of the relocation after a disk went degraded.

I there a command or a place to find when exactly the relocating end, i faced perfomance issue since the drive went degraded but i cant determine when that issue ended pertubating the array.

thank you

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The replacement is finished when you see the dismisspd for the old PDID.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!