108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: 3PAR management IP address configuration

SOLVED
Go to solution
frinku_hp
Occasional Advisor

3PAR management ip address configuration

Does 3par has one virtual ip (floating address) for the management on a four or eight node storeserv storage configurations?

5 REPLIES 5
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Yes, there is one IP address that is connected to the active node.

frinku_hp
Occasional Advisor

I manage to pull out the install document and understood the steps. We just provide one ip address while configuring Storserv storage systems. I am wondering how the nodes will know that the management network interface of its own is active and working. It could be something behind the screens.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I am wondering how the nodes will know that the management network interface of its own is active and working. It could be something behind the scenes.

That's correct.  The nodes talk to each other.

It will get changed if you use "setnet changenode" or the active node crashes.

shcts
Occasional Advisor

Do you know the details of how they talk to each other, and if it is via the network port...? And how the service processor talks to them? does the active controller send messages to/from the others via some other interface, and communicate this to the SP?

semi-related: we're having a problem here where the network group is concerned about link UP/DOWN messages from the inactive nodes filling up their switch logs...

Thanks.

-Tom O'Toole

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Do you know the details of how they talk to each other

Through the backplane.

>And how the service processor talks to them?

Through the network port, only to the active node.

>does the active node send messages to/from the others via some other interface

Yes, see above.

>we're having a problem here where the network group is concerned about link UP/DOWN messages from the inactive nodes filling up their switch logs.

Unless you have nodes going down (or you keep using setnet), I don't think they should be getting messages.