5981 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 3Par Reporting

3ParUser
Occasional Advisor

3Par Reporting

Hi guys,

I'm relatively new to 3Par, but I have experience with a number of IBM storage solutions. Please excuse my use on non-3Par terms, I'm getting there :D

We have 5 3Par units in different DC locations, and I've been tasked by my boss to carry out some reporting on these units.

We've just invested heavily into a couple dozen new C7000 blade chassis, and we want to report on the "health" of our storage. What's the most effective way to check on this, and are there any specific metrics anyone would recommend I look at?

It would be good to know what metrics to look at for the following - Cache health, Processor Health, Response Times, LUN utilisation, Queue Length, Total Throughput (IO/sec) etc....I've been doing spome searching but I can't seem to find much which is 3Par related and relevant. If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
yapkl
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

You can refer to this:
http://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA5-0003ENW.pdf

Can start with Host Ports Performance, Node CPU utlization, Top Ten VLUNs, etc.

Key metric to me is latency/service time. Look at that and we generally want that low (1ms for AFA, <5ms for hybrid, <10ms for spinning disks) for small block sizes. For larger block sizes then look at bandwidth.

Best Regards,

yapkl

Note: The opinions & comments above are my personal opinions, not of Hewlett Packard Enterprise
----------
If my post was useful, click on my KUDOS! thumb below! Thanks.
CalvinZito
HPE Blogger

@3ParUser wrote:

Hi guys,

I'm relatively new to 3Par, but I have experience with a number of IBM storage solutions. Please excuse my use on non-3Par terms, I'm getting there :D

Welcome to HPE 3PAR.  It is a fantastic storage platform!  You'd probably benefit from a couple of papers to help you better understand things:

G-a-briel
Occasional Advisor

Well, 5 different systems in 5 different locations! What I've did for 6 systems, in 3 different locations, was to install stor2rrd on a linux - Ubuntu instance! It is easy, from my point of view... but... some others will say the contrary!

So, search for stor2rrd on Google and see if it's good for you!