1751781 Members
4014 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: 3par 7200 persistent port configuration

Pazzoide1976
Frequent Advisor

3par 7200 persistent port configuration

It's possible to implement persistent port configuration in a 3par 7200 base system?
My system have 2 fc ports for node.(2 node in total 4 port)
I don't known if the storage it's compatible with the persistent port because I've found this:

Persistent port fail over is only supported on the following NPIV-compliant HBAs:

• HP 3PAR 4-port 4G FC
• Emulex 2-port 4G
• Emulex 4-port 8G FC
• QLogic CNA in FCoE mode
• QLogic 1G iSCSI
• QLogic CNA in 10G iSCSI modein the 

from HP 3PAR Command Line Interface Administrator’s Manual HP 3PAR OS 3.1.2 pag 75.

Thanks

Greeting

5 REPLIES 5
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Hi. Not quite sure I understood what you wrote. Are you asking if it is possible to implement persistent ports? If so, definitely yes. And as you say, it depends on the HBAs.

You can either configure your hosts with 4 paths across one group of host ports:

Fabric 1 : Host HBA 1 zoned with 0:1:1 and 1:1:1

Fabric 2 : Host HBA 2 zoned with 0:1:2 and 1:1:2

Or, you can configure your hosts with 2 paths across either of two host group ports:

Group 1 Fabric 1 : Host HBA 1 zoned with 0:1:1

Group 1 Fabric 2 : Host HBA 2 zoned with 1:1:2

or

Group 2 Fabric 1 : Host HBA 1 zoned with 1:1:1

Group 2 Fabric 2 : Host HBA 2 zoned with 0:1:2

and then alternate assigning groups as you bring hosts online.

In any case, you should not have more than 64 paths to any host port.

Note: While I work for HP, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company.

----------

If my post was useful, click on my KUDOS! "White Star" !

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Pazzoide1976
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the reply .
I want you to implement the persistent port configuration with a 3PAR 7200 .
The configuration consists of 2 vmware hosts .
Reading the best pratice hp for zoning are told the following ( from HP 3PAR Storage and StoreServ VMware vSphere 5 best practices) :

A host port would be connected and zoned by the fabric via one initiator (host HBA port) to one HP 3PAR StoreServ target
port ( one-to -one zoning) . The pre -designated HP 3PAR StoreServ Backup port must be connected to the same fabric as its
partner , However it does not need to be zoned to the Host port as it will assume the WWN of the failed path . It is best
Practices That a Given Host port sees a single I / O path to HP 3PAR storage StoreServ . Optionally , a backup port can be zoned
to the same port as the Primary Host port Which would result in the Host port seeing two I / O paths to HP 3PAR StoreServ
storage . Also this would result in the configuration where an HP 3PAR StoreServ port can serve as the Primary port for a
Given Host port (s ) and Backup Ports for Host port (s ) connected to its partner port.

So I wanted to figure out how to do the zoning and if the hba of 3PAR 7200 base system are compatible with the persistent port.

thanks

greetings

giladzzz
Honored Contributor

Hi

by default with version 3.1.2 MU1 you have persistent ports

you can see in in the IMC or in CLI with showport

N:S:P Mode State ----Node_WWN---- -      Port_WWN/HW_Addr- Type Protocol Label Partner FailoverState

0:1:1 target ready 2FF70002AC005071 20110002AC005071 host            FC -               1:1:1         none
0:1:2 target ready 2FF70002AC005071 20120002AC005071 host            FC -               1:1:2

1:1:1 target ready 2FF70002AC005071 21110002AC005071 host             FC -               0:1:1        none
1:1:2 target ready 2FF70002AC005071 21120002AC005071 host            FC -                0:1:2

this meens that it one port goes down the operating system doesn't feel it

as for zoning HP recomends the second option from sheldon that is two members for each zone.

Regards

Pazzoide1976
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for reply.

If I had as an operating system oracle vm that type of zoning should have?
The first configuration or the second illustrated by sheldon?

thanks

greetings

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Typically, for VMware hosts, it is recommended to set up zones to all four ports. You want to maximize bandwidth. Follow the 3PAR VMware Implementation Guide and set the LUNs to Round-Robin once you have assigned them to each of the ESX servers. As far as zoning, it's Your Preference whether you have one zone per fabric with three WWNs or, two per fabric each with two WWNs.

As far as an Oracle VM, it depends on whether the VM would have storage from the 3PAR, or whether it would just be getting storage from the ESX. If just using ESX datastores, no zoning. If using RDM, again, your choice of how many fiber ports you want/need for the desired bandwidth, two or four.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo