HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage
1753967 Members
7567 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion ī„‚

3par 8200 Raid1 Cpg with two SSD ?Possible?

SOLVED
Go to solution
KONSTANTINE
Occasional Advisor

3par 8200 Raid1 Cpg with two SSD ?Possible?

Hello

I recently performed a new installation on a 3par 8200 system single  two node cage ,with 8FC disks and two SSDs. Customer ordered this configuration because he wanted two create raid 1 cpg with SSDs and Raid 6 with the rest FC drives . I am not sure if this is possible to create raid 1cpg with two disk drives only. When i tried to create a cpg Raid1 i was able to select  the two ssd drives but when i press create I get the following errors.see Screenshots.

I know that 2ssds maybe used as adaptive cahe drives but i checked adaptive cahe settings and it is not enabled for these drives.

9 REPLIES 9
KONSTANTINE
Occasional Advisor

The Screenshots :)

Screenshot from 2022-03-24 19-04-11.png

Screenshot from 2022-03-24 19-07-14.png

[Moderator edit: Erased the confidential info.]

support_s
System Recommended

Query: 3par 8200 Raid1 Cpg with two SSD ?Possible?

System recommended content:

1. HPE 3PAR StoreServ 8000 Storage - Specifications

2. Notice: (Revision) HPE 3PAR 8000 Storage Systems - End-of-Life Announcement

Please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon to give a "Kudo".

Thank you for being a HPE valuable community member.

Accept or Kudo

sbhat09
HPE Pro

Re: 3par 8200 Raid1 Cpg with two SSD ?Possible?

Hello @KONSTANTINE,

By default, the system utilizes some of the initial disk capacity to create 'admin' and 'srdata' volumes. I think the SSD capacity must have been utilized for that by the system already. So, You do not have the required resources available to create RAID1- using 2 SSDs. If you add more SSDs, you can create the RAID-1 CPG using them.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!
Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of the company.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

KONSTANTINE
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the response.Yes in fact System created by default 2 FCcpgs raid1 and raid6 for srdata and admin volumes.But there is no SSDcpg created by default. Also the 8disks are populated on slots 0-8. And 2 ssds next. When I go to createcpg I am able to choose raid 1 and ssd as disk type the available capacity is 3780mb (2ssds x 1.9)so it seems ok but when I press create I get the error. Then on the link below supported ssd disk drives states 6-240 so I concluded that min ssd drives for volume creation is 6drives.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c04816736&sfdcIFrameOrigin=null
sbhat09
HPE Pro
Solution

Yes @KONSTANTINE You are right. Minimum number of drives for any disk type is 6. You can't use them if the number of drives of any type is lesser than 6.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of the company.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

KONSTANTINE
Occasional Advisor

Thanks again for the response.

Just to mention that in 8000series config guide it clearly states that for every new disk type in a system min is 6 drives for SSD 6 drives for FC and 12 drives for NL type

3par drives upgrade.png

sbhat09
HPE Pro

Thanks @KONSTANTINE for sharing this table as well.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

MitzV2
Frequent Visitor

@sbhat09 do you have the complete document about it?

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @MitzV2,

Thank you for writing to us. You might want to consider creating a new topic by utilizing the ""New Discussion"" button, as this will not only enhance visibility compared to the old topic but also boost your chances of receiving responses from experts.

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo