New Discussion

3par-FC Raw Space usage

SOLVED
Go to solution
owahid
Frequent Advisor

3par-FC Raw Space usage

3par-G-Storage capacity.jpgHi,

I have an issue regarding my 3par 8200 , I have an alert say raw space usage above 95 %.

But also the dashboard show a free allocated space is (23 Tera)!! which almost the same from monthes , why this number did not decreaed !??

I am  confused betweeen raw allocated space and raw usage space..

What is the corrective action to do ?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: 3par-FC Raw Space usage

1st of all your GUI showing wrong data under "Total Capacity" and "Allocated Capacity" but your "Device Type Capacity" seems correct.

As per my understanding you have 72 FC drives and each drive capacity 1116GiB which means total raw FC capacity (72 x 1116GiB) = 80352GiB

Also we can see you have 6 SSD drives and each drive capacity 371GiB which means total raw SSD capacity (6 x 371GiB)=2226GiB

So total raw capacity of the system = (80352 + 2226)GiB = 82578GiB

So considering space used for actual data, space blocked for Spare chunklets and if any failed chunklets, including everything (1602GiB + 78740GiB) = 80342GiB used from the system out of total capacity of 82578GiB which means 97% got used

Your actual free space (624GiB + 1612GiB) = 2236GiB

I would suggest to check below output to understand raw capacity of the system and also tier wise to have better understanding,

showpd -c

showpd -c -p -devtype FC

showpd -c -p -devtype SSD

showsys -space

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
owahid
Frequent Advisor

Many thanks for you support, What about compacting the CPGs would it be a temp solution to have some free space?

Yes compacting CPG one of the main option which will help you to reclaim back space.

Keep in mind that if lots of space need to compact in CPG level then better to do in out of office hours or in weekend otherwise there will be chance of clashing of region movement which may be part of some other operation.

Also this may create performance issue as well.

If you have no further query and you are satisfied with answers then kindly mark the forum as resolved so that everyone can get the update who are all following your forum.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
owahid
Frequent Advisor

Hello

Untill We decide what data to move or delete , and get new disks installed  , What options I have to do to gain some free space from the SSMC like compacting CPGs.

Thanks

Solution

Yes compactcpg can be the option if you have any scope to reclaim space, In order to check that you can run below command,

compactcpg -dr <FC_CPG_name>

compactcpg -dr <SSD_CPG_name>

If you find space reclaim possible then go for below command one at a time,

compactcpg -f <FC_CPG_name>

compactcpg -f <SSD_CPG_name>

You can also check individual VV level and if any big amount of snapshot space shows under snap reserved. If that particular VV don't have any snapshot means used snapshot space shows zero then that reserved snap space can be reclaimed with the help of freespace command.

freespace -f <VV_name>

After that you can do compactcpg again for the respective CPG from where VV belongs to and that will give you space increase.

Apart from that you need to figure out which tier you want more space. Accordingly you can move VVs from one CPG to another CPG with the help of tunevv command if you have Dynamic Optimization license.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo

@owahid 

Do you have any update or outstanding query?

Request you to please update on the forum so that everyone can get the update who are all following.

If you have no further query and you are satisfied with answers then kindly mark the forum as resolved.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo