HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage
1752666 Members
5629 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 3par: Why can't I create a RAID 5 TPVV?

Jeremy C
Regular Advisor

3par: Why can't I create a RAID 5 TPVV?

I have a RAID 5 CPG but when I create a TPVV it's RAID 1.  If I create a Full provisioned VV then it's RAID 5.

Can someone shed some light on this?

7 REPLIES 7
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

(Off the top of my head, without a screen to refer.)

Without more information as to just what it is you are seeing, I'm going to guess you are looking at the information about the "admin" space. You want to be looking at the information about the "copy" (non-admin) space. Anything dealing with the admin file and admin space is always RAID1.

(Don't forget to click the Kudos star)

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Jeremy C
Regular Advisor

Attaching screenshots.  One is of the CPG (raid5).  One is of a TPVV within that CPG.  Hope that helps.

eddolle
Occasional Contributor

Forgive me for this question as it has been two years since I worked on a 3PAR system:

Isn't there an option to set the raid level when creating the volume?

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Jeremy: In that case, I'm not sure. I don't suppose the CPG was changed to RAID5 after the Virtual Volume was created? You may need to open a call with HP 3PAR Support. Would you perhaps email me your array serial number to ebc.sheldon6129 at mamber.net?

eddole: There was, but with recent versions of the HP 3PAR OS (2.3.1 and later), the ability to create a VV from physical disk chunklets has been deprecated. There is no advantage to not using CPGs when creating VVs.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Do you have AO enabled? Because with AO it is possible that some volumes appear in another CPG level...

Other possibility: check via CLI... I noticed already that the GUI is not always showing the latest up2date information. CLI is always correct...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
eddolle
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply Sheldon. I have to admit that when I was working on a 3PAR SAN (The S400, this was before HP purchased them) we always used CPGs.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: 3PAR: Why can't I create a RAID 5 TPVV?

>Anything dealing with the admin file and admin space is always RAID1.

It looks like you're right:

# showvv vv_r5*
                                                     --Rsvd(MB)--- -(MB)-
Id Name    Prov Type CopyOf BsId Rd -Detailed_State- Adm  Snp  Usr  VSize
20 vv_r5   tpvv base ---      20 RW normal           128  512  512   1024    (RAID 5)
21 vv_r5_2 tpvv base ---      21 RW normal           128  512  512   1024 (RAID 5)
22 vv_r5_3 tpvv base ---      22 RW normal           128  512  512   1024 (RAID 1)

# showld -vv vv_r5*
Id Name        RAID -Detailed_State- Own SizeMB UsedMB Use  Lgct LgId WThru MapV

# For vv_r5 and vv_r5_2, both RAID 5:
28 tp-2-sa-0.0    1 normal           0/1   4096    128 C,SA    0  ---     N    Y
29 tp-2-sa-0.1    1 normal           1/0   4096    128 C,SA    0  ---     N    Y
30 tp-2-sd-0.0    5 normal           0/1  12288   1024 C,SD    0  ---     N    Y  <<<<
32 tp-2-sd-0.2    5 normal           1/0  18432   1024 C,SD    0  ---     N    Y  <<<<

# For vv_r5_3, RAID 1:

33 tp-0-sa-0.0    1 normal           0/1   4096     64 C,SA    0  ---     N    Y
34 tp-0-sa-0.1    1 normal           1/0   4096     64 C,SA    0  ---     N    Y
35 tp-0-sd-0.0    1 normal           0/1  16384    512 C,SD    0  ---     N    Y
36 tp-0-sd-0.1    1 normal           1/0  16384    512 C,SD    0  ---     N    Y

>CLI is always correct...

I sure hope so, especially if you use the right commands.  :-)