SOLVED
Go to solution
CRD
Frequent Advisor

3par disk upgrades

Good day

Recently upgraded a 3par7200 with the below disks

12 x 2TB NL disks

Tunesys is still running and now only on 7% after 4 days.

Would like to know if I can continue to add the below new disks as well even though the tunesys is running or should I rather wait for tunesys task to complete.

10 x 1.8TB FC 10K disks

8 x 600GB FC 10K disks 

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
sbhat09
HPE Pro

Re: 3par disk upgrades

Hello @CRD,

If there are two or more internal data movement tasks are running simultaneously, the 3PAR system will take exponentially longer time to complete the tasks.

Below are the example of data movement tasks:
Tunesys
AO data movement
Compactcpg
Admitting new PD (System distributing the existing data to newly admitted PD)

I guess here when the system was distributing the data among the newly upgraded PD, the 'tunesys' would have started. That is taking exponentially longer time to complete. Otherwise 7% in 4 days is not normal for tunesys.

If you identify multiple internal data movement tasks, pause others and let only one of them to run. After that, you can resume the other so that both will complete faster.

You can upgrade rest of the disks later, so that it will not conflict with other data movement tasks.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

CRD
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the response Srinivas

Current tasks running are

tunesys

tunenodech

tuneld

all started automatically after the 2TB NL disks were added.

Also see move regions/tuneld tasks 

sbhat09
HPE Pro

Hi @CRD ,

Please run the command 'showtask' and see the last column that which user has initiated the task.

If all of them are system initiated tasks automatically after admitting new PDs, then please wait for them to complete before upgrading new PDs.

If you have any other scheduled data movement tasks (like AO, compactcpg etc.), please stop them till the tunesys and other tasks complete.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

CRD
Frequent Advisor

Yes all are system initiated tasks

1631 system_tuning tunesys active 2/3 2850816/33497088 2021-06-25 10:07:41 SAST - n/a 3parsvc
1633 background_command tunenodech active 2/2 2784/16392 2021-06-25 10:22:41 SAST - n/a 3parsvc
2155 compact_cpg NL_r6 active 1/1 177/834 2021-06-29 19:38:41 SAST - n/a 3parsvc

Thanks for the help

sbhat09
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi @CRD,

Yes. Correct! So, please wait till they complete before upgrading new disks.

Overall these tasks already progressed more than half. The 7% you referred looks like one of the 3 phases of tunesys task. (Tunesys runs in 3 phases - rebalance between nodes, rebalance between disks and re-layout data)

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

mdan_06
Occasional Advisor

Can i run compact cpg when the volumes are in production? Will there be any impact on volumes?

sbhat09
HPE Pro

Hello @mdan_06,

Yes. compactcpg is an online task. You can run it while the volumes are in production.

As I said before in this conversation chain, make sure there are no other data movement tasks are running at the same time.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of HPE.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo