108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Alerting for max CLI session on 3PAR storage

SOLVED
Go to solution
lthomasle
Occasional Contributor

Alerting for max CLI session on 3PAR storage

Over the course of a couple weeks,  two of our 8400 3PAR's encountered "maximum CLI connection" issues which prevented us from being able to manage the storage and the storage connection was also lost within OneView. We basically had to powered off the SSMC, remove the storage from the SP (via admin login), reboot the SP, kill all sessions, reboot the 3PAR nodes then add back the storage.

The only recent changes are we applied the latest patches to all three of our 3PAR's (and SP's) and we spun up new SSMC's (version 3.8.2).

Can some type of alerting be configured on either the SSMC or the SP that will email when the CLI connections reach a certain threshold such as 60? I think the max CLI connections for the 8400 is 96 but I am not certain.

4 REPLIES 4
sbhat09
HPE Pro

Hello @lthomasle,

You can run the 'showuserconn or showuserconn -d or showuserconn -current' command to check the number of CLI connections to your 3PAR.

You can use 'removeuserconn' command to remove excessive CLI connections.

Rebooting nodes and reinstalling SSMC may be the last option to consider.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!
Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of HPE.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

support_s
System Recommended

Query: Alerting for max CLI session on 3PAR storage

System recommended content:

1. HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage - Max allowable CLI server processes of 64 exceeded due to duplicate SP IP on the customer network.

2. HPE 3PAR Command Line Interface Reference Guide

If the above information is helpful, then please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon.

Thank you for being a HPE community member.

Accept or Kudo

lthomasle
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the quick responses.  We understand how to resolve the issue however I am looking for a way to receive automated alerts such as an email when the CLI sessions approach a certain threshold. We want to receive a notification before the max cli limit is reached so we don't have to take steps to fix it.

sbhat09
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello @lthomasle,

There is no such alerting monitoring feature available in SSMC. But what you can do to avoid such a situation is:

1. Whenever human users connect, ensure that they exit the session properly so that there will not be unwanted/idle connections.

2. From SSMC GUI go to main menu >> show all >> Security >> connections. Identify and remove unwanted connections.

3. If you are using any 3rd party monitoring tool which supports automation, use the 'showuserconn' command to create a monitoring/alert for CLI user connections. 

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!
Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of HPE.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo