1748246 Members
3735 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Calculate Over provisioned space

sakshymn
Occasional Advisor

Calculate Over provisioned space

I need to calculate how much space is overprovisioned in raw format,  We have to maintain certain amount of over provisioning per environment. I get the actual usage using showvv, where as showsys gives me in raw. I need to convert my actual usage to raw. I do get the raw reserved, but that is not actual allocation value. Here is my showsys and showvv (trunkated output for better reading). 

As you can see from the output, I have 307TiB total , 195TiB allocated and 112TiB free space.  195TiB is allocated (180TiB for volumes and 14 TiB for system includes internal and sparing). 180TiB is raw reserved and not actual allocation. 262Tib of space is actually allocated. Clearely this array is already way overprovisioned, but I don't know how much unless I convert the 262TiB to raw (also separate overhead value).  Any idea how to calculate this ? Appreciate your insight

my3par cli% showsys -space
------------- System Capacity (MB) --------------
Total Capacity : 322424832
Allocated : 204573696
Volumes : 189517824
Non-CPGs : 0
User : 0
Snapshot : 0
Admin : 0
CPGs (TPVVs & TDVVs & CPVVs) : 189517824
User : 184893736
Used : 184893736
Used (Bulk VVs) : 0
Unused : 0
Snapshot : 3481304
Used : 3414
Unused : 3477890
Admin : 1142784
Used : 620160
Unused : 522624
Unmapped : 0
System : 15055872
Internal : 465920
Spare : 14589952
Used : 0
Unused : 14589952
Free : 117847040
Initialized : 117847040
Uninitialized : 0
Unavailable : 0
Failed : 4096
-------------- Capacity Efficiency --------------
Compaction : 2.0
Dedup : ---------

my3par cli% showvv
------Rsvd(MB)------- --(MB)---
Id Name Prov Type CopyOf BsId Rd -Detailed_State- Adm Snp Usr VSize
1 .srdata full base --- 1 RW normal 0 0 81920 81920
0 admin full base --- 0 RW normal 0 0 10240 10240
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
419 total 206720 2560 138762496 274768896

10 REPLIES 10
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Have you looked at "showvv -r" or "showvv -space"?

sakshymn
Occasional Advisor

I did look at showvv -r and showvv -space. Here is the output.  All I see the actual allocation value, not raw.

my3par cli% showvv -r
------------------------------------(MB)-------------------------------------
-----Adm------ ----Snp----- --------Usr-------- --------Tot--------
Id Name Prov Type RawRsvd Rsvd RawRsvd Rsvd RawRsvd Rsvd RawRsvd Rsvd VSize

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
419 total 620160 206720 3415 2560 185114785 138790144 185738359 138999424 274768896

my3par cli% showvv -space
----Adm----- ---------Snp---------- ---------------Usr---------------
----(MB)---- --(MB)--- -(% VSize)-- -------(MB)-------- --(% VSize)-- -------(MB)-------- -Capacity Efficiency-
Id Name Prov Type Rsvd Used Rsvd Used Used Wrn Lim Rsvd Used Used Wrn Lim Tot_Rsvd

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
419 total 206720 88511 2560 0 138790144 137360689 138999424 274768896 2.0 --

mrsr2174
Occasional Advisor

showvv -r will show both raw space & user space.

RawSpace -> RawRsvd

UserSpace -> Rvsd

Attached screenshots which will be helpfull for you to match vv space with 3par used space.

Showsys space will show detail spilt of cpacity

sakshymn
Occasional Advisor

274768896 Is the provisioned space through showvv (around 262 TiB). I cannot find a raw equivalent for it
Mvhkbc
Advisor

I'm also interested in calculating overprovisioning since we compress all VV that are also thin on our 8450's and 20850's..

So what is the exact formula and what should be divided by what (no small excel available ?) .

It been very confusing , all figure presented by CLI anfd GUI , even after 1,5 years working on 3PAR

Customer from Belgium

yapkl
Trusted Contributor

If you factor in compress things get complicated. Let's look at the basics:

1. Say you have a 3PAR with SAS disks only, after RAID the total usable capacity is 50TiB.
2. You start provisioning THIN volumes, and you've provisioned 50TiB worth of volumes. However, the actual used space is only 10TiB with the rest of 40TiB "saved" or "avoided" due to the thin provisioning feature. At this point you are NOT yet overprovisioning.
3. Now you provision another 50TiB, for a total of 100TiB usable to your hosts. However, due to thin provisioning savings - you are only using 20TiB now. You have provisioned 100TiB of space, but only consumed 20TiB of space and have approximately 30TiB usable free still. At this point, you ARE already overprovisioning.

Now throw in dedupe/compression in the scenario above, you might end up with:
1. Provisioned 100TiB usable, however with dedupe/compression you end up using only 10TiB instead of 20TiB (just with thin). And you have 40TiB usable capacity "free".

At this point, you will see that it's very hard and also it's pointless to see how much you're overprovisioning, because you can't really tell the savings you will get from dedupe/compression as you add more workloads. If for example, you do a clone of all volumes and double up the provisioned space to 200TiB, the actual used might still be at 10TiB (as all clones are just "deduped").

Or in another extreme case - you suddenly throw in 20TiB of PDF, MP3, video or encrypted files. None of these will compress well, so you will start to consume a lot of space without much savings from compression. The overprovisioning number doesn't mean anything here, but your overall data reduction and free space will start to drop.

IMHO, more important is for you to monitor these metrics instead :
1. What is the total usable capacity of your 3PAR - you can get this from your HPE sales/presales with their sizer tool output or if you have only 1 CPG, look in the SSMC GUI for that CPG it will tell you how much of usable capacity you have without factoring in thin or dedupe/compress. This is your usable capacity before data reduction.
2. Monitor the data reduction ratio, and the free space available. Follow ITIL best practices and ensure that you have a free space threshold set based on your workload (70%, 80%, etc... it's unique to your environment depending on your data growth and also procurement cycle to get more disks in). Then use that to monitor and plan. The actual usable capacity will be your capacity x data reduction ratio, e.g.  if you have 50TiB usable, and on average you're getting 3:1 data reduction, the total usable capacity is approximately 150TiB (just from dedupe/compress, excluding thin savings).

If you're using an 8450/20850 with compression, then you're running on 3.3.1 - if you look at the output of "showsys -space" you can see system wide data reduction numbers at the bottom of that output. Also you can work out the % of free space you have vs the total.

Best Regards,

yapkl

Note: The opinions & comments above are my personal opinions, not of Hewlett Packard Enterprise
----------
If my post was useful, click on my KUDOS! thumb below! Thanks.
sakshymn
Occasional Advisor

Thanks yapkl for the detailed reply. 3PAR is not the only one does thin and de-dupe. I have  netapp cluster mode where we do thin provisioning heavily. Netapp let's me calculate overprovisioned capacity.  There has to be a way to tell, even if a rough number will be ideal.  I plan to open a ticker with HP to see if they can share some insight. Will update this thread if I get usable solution.

yapkl
Trusted Contributor

In CLI "showsys -space" you should be able to see overprovisioning info. Opening a call to HPE is a good idea to get confirmation.

Best Regards,

yapkl

Note: The opinions & comments above are my personal opinions, not of Hewlett Packard Enterprise
----------
If my post was useful, click on my KUDOS! thumb below! Thanks.
kisalipa
Occasional Advisor

Hi Mrsr,

Can you please clarify the difference between,

Allocated Capacity from showsys -space and overall Vsize from showvv -r?

Allocation capacity should be equal to overall vvsize I am guessing? In case, we have tpvv, does te allocation capacity mean the physical capacity allocated??