HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage
1753797 Members
7261 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Can 3PAR storage cluster failback automatically?

SOLVED
Go to solution
d11v0
Occasional Contributor

Can 3PAR storage cluster failback automatically?

Hi,

I'm new to 3PAR, just want to know can a 3par storage cluster (storage-A and storage-B) , when storage-A lost the connect or offline due to power issue, and the active role shifted to storage-B, right? Will the active role shift back to storage-A automatically after A came back?

5 REPLIES 5
sbhat09
HPE Pro

Hello @d11v0 

You are right about the Active role (Primary) shifting to 'Storage-B' during power failure etc. This works as you explained if you have set the 'Path management' and 'auto failover' policies right.

After the failover, active role shifting back (failback) to Storage-A is not an automatic task. It is not only simple failback, 3PAR offers range of options (Switch failover, Switchover, Revert failover, Recover, Restore) or a combination of options, which are relevant to the situation and requirements during failback.

3PAR principles believe that failback is not an emergency task to be available as automatic. Here the users may assess and execute the right operations suitable to the situation and requirements.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!
Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of HPE

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

d11v0
Occasional Contributor

Hello @ sbhat09

Thank you, as you pointed out the failback task for the active role shift back from storage-B to storage-A is not  an automatic task, but can I setup for this two 3par storage cluster perform the failback active role shift task automatically, perhaps via the policy options as you mentioned?

sbhat09
HPE Pro

Hi @d11v0,

with the 'Path management' and 'auto failover' policies you can set only failover automatic.

Failback is not automatic even with those policies.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of HPE

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

d11v0
Occasional Contributor

Hi @sbhat09 

Thank you, so if I want to setup a cluster with two 3par storage, this will be an active / standby storage cluster with automatically failover with path management, as well as the volume for the remote copy group, however it can not perform automatic failback, right?

sbhat09
HPE Pro
Solution

Yes @d11v0. It doesn't.

The 'failback' here is a manual operation.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo