7148 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Clone VV export

S_AMB
Occasional Contributor

Clone VV export

Dear Community 

requesting your support as I recently created clone copies for 6 volumes, clone volumes already get clone promote as I need to export to the same hosts for bkp copy after server upgrade 

now when exporting system is showing 

Jul 7, 2021 9:58:24 PM GST Created
Jul 7, 2021 9:58:24 PM GST Start user operation
Jul 7, 2021 9:58:24 PM GST Executing createvlun operation on the array
Jul 7, 2021 9:58:24 PM GST Export BKPClone to Server23
Jul 7, 2021 9:58:24 PM GST Checking for object to appear in the cache
Jul 7, 2021 10:01:24 PM GST Timed out waiting for object to update in cache. Please check the task status on the array.

when checking from CLI this drive is showing exported on server23 2 times I tried to unexport but system is saying volume is not exported which is confusing 

any one faced same issue please ?

am running 3.3.1.648 (MU5)+P126,P132,P135

Lun VVName HostName -Host_WWN/iSCSI_Name- Port Type

13 BKPClone server23 5001438023198886 1:0:2 host active 1
14 BKPClone server23 5001438023198886 1:0:2 host active 1

13 BKPClone server23 ---------------- --- host
14 BKPClone server23 ---------------- --- host
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 REPLIES 4
sbhat09
HPE Pro

Re: Clone VV export

Hello @S_AMB,

Haven't faced such issue. But looks like the here the same WWN but different LUN id is creating the issue.

Please try to unextport the volumes from both host and volume side. Hope one of the methods work for you:

1.  SSMC main menu >> Virtual volumes >> Select the volume >> Actions >> Unexport
2.  SSMC main menu >> Hosts >> Select the exported host >> Actions >> Unexport

If that doesn't work, create the new clone copy (name it differently) and delete this confusing clone (BKPClone) with the command with the command 'removevv vv_name'. Again check if any residual parameters of the clone is remaining. Remove the everything related the that clone copy using 'removevv' command with relevant options and specifiers.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!
Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of HPE.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

S_AMB
Occasional Contributor

hi sbhat09 

The problem from CLI drive is showing exported from GUI export is not there very strange 

now I cannot run another clone as clone was taken offline during a database downtime 

from one host is showing active two times from GUI no export for the volume 

13 BKPClone server23 5001438023198886 1:0:2 host active 1
14 BKPClone server23 5001438023198886 1:0:2 host active 1

Regards,

sbhat09
HPE Pro

Hello @S_AMB,

If there is inconsistancy between CLI and GUI, please trust CLI. Some redundant cache may be causing issue in GUI. Please remove the system from SSMC and add it again. Try to run export/unexport operations from CLI only.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!
Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of HPE.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

I've been working with Nimble storage almost exclusively since HPE acquired Nimble. 

Before that, I worked on 3PAR 98+ % of the time from when HP acquired 3PAR. With the 3.3.1 and earlier SSMC, it ran as a service. On the rare occasion SSMC would get out of synch with the CLI, the resolution was to simply restart the SSMC service and wait a few minutes while it refreshed everything it knew about the array(s).

How does one restart the appliance SSMC so it will refresh? Is it as simple as having the hypervisor shut down and restart the appliance?
Not sure which would be the fastest means of refreshing the appliance SSMC; trigger an appliance restart or remove/add of a system.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo