New Discussion

Re: Concurrent management of a 3PAR system

SOLVED
Go to solution
RUET
Regular Advisor

Concurrent management of a 3PAR suystem

Hello

i'm wondering the behaviour of a concurent management of a 3PAR system.

By example, I've many peopel in charge of 3PAR management (VV, hosts creation ..)

What about if:

- many users from the same ICM (Console management) are connected to the same 3PAR and are sending some changes to the 3PAR

- many users from two different ICMs (Console management) are connected to the same 3PAR and are sending some changes to the 3PAR

- same question if we have CLI scripts running in the same time

I'm wondering about best practices with the number of ICM/CLI severs to implement and the process of a concurrent management of the same 3PAR system..

Thanks in advance

pat

3 REPLIES 3
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

>I'm wondering the behaviour of a concurrent management of a 3PAR system.

Depending on your StoreServ model, there are a limited number of connections (min of 64) you can have.

But not all can be actively doing commands.

Each IMC may take 4 to 5.  The command showuserconn can show you how many.

>I'm wondering about best practices with the number of IMC/CLI to implement and the process of a concurrent management of the same 3PAR system

This all depends on whether you are just monitoring at the current status or actively changing things (creating snapshots or physical copies).

RUET
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the information

Our context is more based on 7400 systems

We have many team L1/L2/L3 which are able to monitor of course (I think there is no issue with this) but also to create LUNs, snapshots ... may be in concurency ..

As ICM is a java application, so depending of the content of the cache, I don't explain at the moment the behaviour of some concurent change actions on a single system (there is no lock as in Remote Web Console..)

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Our context is more based on 7400 systems

Depending on how much memory they have, the min is 96.

>As IMC is a java application, so depending of the content of the cache,

If you are worried about performance, this cache is on the host or some PC and doesn't affect the array.

>the behaviour of some concurrent change actions on a single system (there is no lock

sysmgr does the locking but you shouldn't be trying to change the same object at the same time.