108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Degraded pd old firmware

SOLVED
Go to solution
3parbaddie
Occasional Contributor

Degraded pd old firmware

We had a drive failed and currently degraded, we've replaced the drive with one we ordered from our vendor but i believe the firmware is to new on the drive compared to whats running on the OS  the 3par is currently running on 3.2.2 (MU4) i'm trying to get this upgraded to MU6 but since its degraded i'm unable to continue can the drive possibly be disabled so I can upgrade the OS then re-enable the drive somehow and hope this drives firmware upgrades and can rebuild?

storeserv cli% showpd -s -p -cg 0 -mg 6
Id CagePos Type -State- ------------------Detailed_State------------------ -SedState--
--- 0:6:0 unknown failed vacated,invalid,inquiry_failed not_capable
6 0:6:0? FC failed vacated,missing,invalid_media,slow_drive,servicing unknown
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 total
storeserv cli% showpd -i -p -cg 0 -mg 6
Id CagePos State ----Node_WWN---- -MFR- -----Model------ -Serial- -FW_Rev- Protocol MediaType -----AdmissionTime-----
--- 0:6:0 failed 5000CCA02DBEE837 HGST HCFP1200S5xeN010 06KBZSGA 3P00 SAS -- -----------------------
6 0:6:0? failed 5000CCA02D11CAAF HGST HCBF1200S5xeN010 06G9TA6Z 3P03 SAS Magnetic 2015-12-01 14:28:31 PST
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 total

4 REPLIES 4
sbhat09
HPE Pro

Re: Degraded pd old firmware

Hello @3parbaddie,

Have you done 'admitpd' for the newly added disk? Have you confirmed compatibility of the new PD? 

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!
Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of HPE.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

3parbaddie
Occasional Contributor

yeah it fails to run, normally i should just auto admit which i believe is a compatiblity issue but i'm wondering is it possible to disable a drive to clear errors temporarily and allow me to upgrade the OS from MU4 to MU6 ?

sbhat09
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello @3parbaddie,

You can try dismisspd command. It removes PD definitions from system use.

Command is (where PD id is 6) - dismisspd 6

Verify the removal of a PD by issuing the showpd command. After the upgrade, try to admit the PD.
If you still face any issues, physically remove the PD and proceed with the upgrade.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of HPE.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

sbhat09
HPE Pro

Hello @3parbaddie,

Hope that was helpful to resolve the issue.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo