HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage
1748168 Members
4273 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Delete Virtual Volume - Error: the volume is in a remote copy relationship and cannot be delete

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michael Woodson
Occasional Visitor

Delete Virtual Volume - Error: the volume is in a remote copy relationship and cannot be deleted.

In my environment, I HAD an HP 3PAR system that used remote copy to replicate data to a second array in another state.  The data line between the two no longer exists and remote copy is no longer needed.  When trying to clean up our local array, we tried to delete some old remote copy groups and some "Read Only" remote copy snapshots that are taking up quite of bit of space.  We want to reclaim this space and delete the snapshots; however since the link between the two arrays no longer exists, I receive the following error when trying to delete the rcpy snapshots:  "The volume is in a remote copy relationship and cannot be deleted". 

When I try to dismiss the VV from the RC groups using the CLI, I get the error: The target <remote array> for group <RC name> is not ready, retry later.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Delete Virtual Volume - Error: the volume is in a remote copy relationship and cannot be delete

Taking a quick look in the HPE 3PAR Command Line Interface reference guide, I see

"stoprcopy -stopgroups -clear"
Stops the Remote Copy service and optionally stops any started Remote Copy volume groups.

-stopgroups -- Specifies that any started Remote Copy volume groups are stopped.
-clear -- Specifies that configuration entries affiliated with the stopped mode are deleted.

Once you get past this with the Remote Copy configuration cleaned up, you should be able to clean up the volumes.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Michael Woodson
Occasional Visitor

Worked like a charm.  Thank-you for the response and the solution.  Have a good night!