HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage

Deleted Virtual Volumes through SSMC - but space not reclaimed yet:

AliJeelani

Deleted Virtual Volumes through SSMC - but space not reclaimed yet:

Hi,

Have deleted the VVs on 20K which were only exported but not assigned to any datastore. How do i confirm that the space has been reclaimed?

4 REPLIES 4
StorageMike
HPE Pro

Re: Deleted Virtual Volumes through SSMC - but space not reclaimed yet:

Hi

I don't think any space will have been used, only reserverd if the VVs weren't formatted. You could use a compactcpg to ensure any unused space is reclaimed...

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

1. delete the volumes
  2. any dirty chunklets go to the uninitialized state (showpd -c and showsys -space)

If you have multiple CPGs of the chunklets' Physical Disk device type (NL, FC, SSD), you can (compactcpg <CPG_name>) to get available Logical Disk (free) space back to the device type free pool.
If there is just one CPG of the chunklets' device type compacting doesn't matter. Sooner or later the space will be assigned back to the CPG's LDs again.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

How do you know that space not reclaimed ? do you have VV space state at the time of presenting the VV to Host.

We understand you have created one 3PAR tpvv and exported to ESX host but not created esx vmfs filesystem means not used as datastore. It means still tpvv same as it is at the block level.

tpvv concept is when you present the same tpvv to some host and formatted with host filesystem then write anything at the host filesystem level. That time only space starts gets allocated at the block level.

In this case only tpvv created which means basic space must have been got reserved like 1GB space only. So once you have deleted the VV this much only got deleted at the block level so you must have not noticed any change in space.

Please find one example where I have created 200GB tpvv but from showvv output it only shows 1GB got allocated as reserved space, used space shows zero. 

XXXXXXXX cli% createvv -tpvv FC_r1 subho_test2 200g
XXXXXXXX cli% showvv -s subho_test2
---------Snp---------- ---------Usr---------- ---------Total---------
--(MiB)-- -(% VSize)-- --(MiB)-- -(% VSize)-- ---------(MiB)--------- ---Efficiency---
Id Name Prov Compr Dedup Type Rsvd Used Used Wrn Lim Rsvd Used Used Wrn Lim Rsvd Used HostWr VSize Compact Compress
23060 subho_test2 tpvv No No base 0 0 0.0 -- -- 1024 0 0.0 0 0 1024 0 0 204800 0.00 --
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 total 0 0 1024 0 1024 0 0 204800

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo

@AliJeelani 

Can you please help us to understand if the issue got resolved or not?

If issue got resolved then how? This will help for everyone who are all following your forum.

Also request you to mark the forum as resolved if there is no more outstanding query from your end on this issue.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo