5464 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

HP 3 PAR 7200 vs EMC VNX 5400

WajeehRahman
Occasional Advisor

HP 3 PAR 7200 vs EMC VNX 5400

Dear Experts,

We are currently looking for upgrading our storage EVA 4400 and are looking in options. Presently we have two proposals:

- HP 3PAR 7200

- EMC VNX 5400

Before we finalize, need to know major differences why HP to be preferred on EMC VNX. So looking for comparison.

I appreciate help in this regard from professionals in this forum.

Waiting for valuable response.

Regards,

P.S. This thread has been moved from Storage Area Networks (SAN) (Small and Medium Business) to HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage. - HP Forum Moderator

3 REPLIES 3
mammadshah
Advisor

Re: HP 3 PAR 7200 vs EMC VNX 5400

Hello,

I would personally recommend VNX, we have been using HP 3PAR F400, since 4 years. we believe that it was a wrong decision as selectio of HP 3PAR.  

Reasons:

• HP is frequently changing the Storage Array models, and this would cause the issue of support as soon you have completed first 3 years. 
  • HP sales would force you to get the latest storage array, instead of support renewal.
  • Support renewal for the Array would as much expansive as you are getting the new Array  (so they would show the sale....)
  • HP history is very simple, they are just buyiug the technology from others (MSA, EVA, 3PAR, etc.) they dont have their own research centers. 

CalvinZito
HPE Blogger

I missed this conversation and apologize for my late reply.

There's a reason why in 4 years HPE on the strength of 3PAR has become the number one mid-range Fibre Channel array.  My bias aside, in a side-by-side product comparison, 3PAR wins hands down.  One of the proofs I look at is integration with VMware.  As an example, VMware vVols started development over 5 years ago.  EMC is the parent company of VMware and today still does not support vVols with VNX.  Why? I can only speculate but I believe it's the VNX architecture. VNX was not designed for today's virtualized workloads.

HPE 3PAR had day 1 support for vVols and in fact was the exclusive FC array development platform.

mammadshah - you are incorrect about having our own research.  I work in Boise where a portion of our 3PAR R&D team is. That team used to be R&D for the EVA and before that HP AutoRAID that was technology that came from HP Labs.  And by the way, EMC acquired VNX from DG - it's a common practice in the industry to acquire start-up technology and make it better through your own development.  That's exactly what HPE has done with 3PAR.

As for support - you'll find that every vendor charges more for support after the first 3 years.  EMC is legendary for their extreme costs to renew.  HPE offers the option to purchase support for years 4 and 5 up front and customers who know they will use their storage for more than 3 years take advantage of this.

Lastly, here's a video I did that compares traditional arrays (like VNX) to the 3PAR architecture. https://youtu.be/MaTU2xc23NE

Happy to answer any questions.

sclazarus
Occasional Visitor

There is a comparison chart over at IT Central Station, which is based on user reviews, that you might find helpful:

EMC VNX vs HPE 3PAR Flash Storage