Nikolay Savov
Frequent Advisor

HP 3PAR 7200c - add new FC disk`s fails with "Can`t find FW for PD "

As stated :

HP 3PAR 7200c - add new 12 FC SAS disk`s fails  with  "Can`t find FW for PD "

- new HDD license added 

- new HDD are inserted to the 3 chages  4 x HDD per  cage

- All 12 FC PD are  seen by the  3PAR management console

- admithw   from console   returns ERROR - it can`t find  suitable FW to upgrade all 12  drives and  i get Major Alert for all   HDD - 12  alerts - DEGRADED

I think that 3PAR OS must be upgraded in order to  give the  storage  apropriate FW to  upgrade the drives ?

Any help to resolve this will be fine !

Regards. Nik

Niksavoy
11 REPLIES 11
Solution

Re: HP 3PAR 7200c - add new FC disk`s fails with "Can`t find FW for PD "

@Nikolay Savov 

Yes your understanding is correct

There are drive models for which dependency is there on 3PAR OS version. Those drives can't be use until you are in that 3PAR OS version.

You can mention your current Inform OS version running, drive model that you are trying to use. This will help to understand more.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Nikolay Savov
Frequent Advisor

@SUBHAJIT KHANBARMAN_1 

Thannk You for the quick reply !

In fact  i found  Document ID: a00069828en_us   -  CUSTOMER ADVISORY

HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage - Critical Drive Firmware Update For Systems With SSKB HDD Models Installed

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-a00069828en_us

We need  to  patch   3PAR OS ver.  3.2.2 MU6   with  patch P140   to resolve the issue.

Thank You for the assistance.

Niksavoy

Do you have any outstanding query?

Request you to please update on the forum so that everyone can get the update who are all following.

If you have no further query and you are satisfied with answers then kindly mark the forum as resolved.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Nikolay Savov
Frequent Advisor

I just like to update this :

Last friday  HPE 3PAR Support has finished the update and patching.

The drives are  added  and there is no issue anymore.

Current OS and Patch Levels – 3.2.2.709 (MU6);P96,P99   ( where the new drives has failed to add )  
Current SP OS Version - 4.4.0.GA-142
Target Patch Details:-  3.2.2.709 (MU6) P165, P166, P167, P107 (Optional Patch)
Target SP OS Version – 5.0.6.0-27574

Regards.

Niksavoy
hoatienii
Regular Visitor

Hi Niksavoy!

Could you give me step by step for replace HDD work on HP 3PAR. I have HP 3PAR 8000 with 6 drive model SSKB1200S5xeN010 failure, i don't know how to choose corret drive firmware to buy that work fine on my  HP 3PAR.

And could you give me step by step upgrade drive firmware that work fine on my  HP 3PAR 8000 if i buy drive model SSKB1200S5xeN010 wrong firmware.

Thank you so much!

Nikolay Savov
Frequent Advisor

Hi  

Just follow the HPE CUSTOMER ADVISORY  it depens on 3PAR OS versio and you drive FW version

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-a00069828en_us

in short :

the FW for the all drives are in the 3PAR OS and Patch  it self and when you add new drives  3PAR is trying to  install the FW that is for the drive and then if the patch is not installed  the drive FW is missing - that`s the problem

You patch the 3PAR OS and you add the missing drive FW.

Niksavoy
hoatienii
Regular Visitor

Thank you so much your quick reply to me. Follow your advice, i only need apply patch for my 3PAR corresponding to the OS version. 3PAR will auto install firmware for new drive???
Another question could you help me, will i need buy new license for drive when i buy new drive for my 3PARS
Thank you so much again!
Nikolay Savov
Frequent Advisor

If i recall you have 3PAR 8000  so :

With the 3PAR 7200, an additional disk license had to be added for each additional disk
up to 72 disk - then is not required

But as for 3PAR StoreServ 8000 Storage products include 3PAR licensing that enables all functionality associated with the system
You should not add licenses for the disks
You can look at this document.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00020368en_us#N100F0 

use commands in the 3PAR console to check the status of licenses on you  system :
showlicense
showpd

Unfortunately, the 3PAR family has been declared an EOS and all that can be found is only through alternative trade channels.

Good luck.

Niksavoy
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

@hoatienii wrote:
Another question could you help me, will i need buy new license for drive when i buy new drive for my 3PARS

It depends. 3PAR systems were originally licensed depending on how many drives they had. They all had a licensing drive cap at which point you could add still more drives up to the system's limit and it would not matter.

As I recall, a 7200 had a license cap of 48 drives. You would need to update the system's licenses for up to the first 48 drives. Check the output of the (off the top of my head) showlicense command.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo