4281 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPE 3PAR Operation not allowed when converting Dedupe VV to Thin VV

mainland
Frequent Advisor

HPE 3PAR Operation not allowed when converting Dedupe VV to Thin VV

HPE 3PAR Operation not allowed when converting Dedupe VV to Thin VV

Hi, I have a 3par environment with version 3.2.2 (MU6) in a Peer Persistence configuration.

I have VV in Dedupe mode that I want to convert to Thin VV, these VV are in the Peer Persistence configuration.

When launching the convert task, from the SSMC it tells me that the operation is not allowed.

Indicate that these operations have been done with other VVs and have not given an error:

- Tune VV Thin that are in the Peer Persistence configuration to pass them from UserCPG SSD to UserCPG NL, the operation was performed without problems

- Convert VV Dedupe that are not in the configuration of Peer Persistence to pass them from UserCPG SSD to UserCPG NL, the operation was performed without problems

Do you know what it can be? because it does not allow me to make the convert of the VV Dedupe indicated?

regards

13 REPLIES 13
giladzzz
Honored Contributor

hi

try expanding the task fail to see the cause of the problem

or try doing it in CLI you might get a better error and understand

your problem.

Regards

mainland
Frequent Advisor

hello, when I try to see the details it only indicates that the conversion is not allowed

2018-11-16 23:11:18 CET Created
2018-11-16 23:11:18 CET Start user operation
2018-11-16 23:11:18 CET Executing tunevv operation on the array
2018-11-16 23:11:18 CET Conversion not allowed for: XXXXX
2018-11-16 23:11:18 CET Failed: Conversion not allowed for: XXXXX

any ideas?

regards

mainland
Frequent Advisor

Hello, support manufacturer tells me that this happens because the vv are in a Remote Copy Group, so I give these instructions

I would need the commands to perform according to the steps you indicate:

1. Stop the copy
     Command:
2. Remove vv from the copy group
    Does this have to be done for both vv, source and destination?
    Command:
3.Convert it
   Here would we convert both vv the source and destination?
4. Assign the VV to the copy group.
    Here we have the question of whether the target vv must be deleted and then recreated in the replica or resynchronized from where it was

Can you tell me how to perform these steps?

regards

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

The volume conversion process is not capable of associating pre-conversion snapshots with the conversion target volumes. The snapshots will remain with the original VVs that are converted, if desired, but the new VVs created during the conversion process will have no pre-existing snapshots associated when the conversion completes.
Hewlett Packard Enterprise recommends that all snapshots be removed before conversion of VVs begins to free space for the conversion and simplify the conversion tasks.

The fact that existing snapshots are no longer usable with the target volumes following a conversion requires you to decide whether to perform a full resync of all VVs in an RC Group that are converted following the migration of the VVs in a Remote Copy group as snapshots are required to ensure that only delta resync occur.
If you can't take a full resynchronization of all VVs in a Remote Copy group following volume conversion, then application downtime is required to affect the migration of the VVs in the RC group.

Consider contacting HPE Pointnext for consulting help to find the optimal way to convert the volume(s).

0. Let any in-progress synchronization finish.
If the plan is to stop the application and convert both primary and secondary, then watch the Remote Copy Group state. When the volume(s) show synced, then stop the Remote Copy Group. If the application must stay up, then don't worry about it; a full synchronization will be needed later anyway.

1. Stop the copy
Command: stoprcopygroup [option <arg>] [<group_name> | <pattern>...]

2. Remove vv from the copy group
Does this have to be done for both vv, source and destination?
Command: dismissrcopyvv [options] {<pattern> | <VV_name>} <group_name>
Just once. The command removes both sides. A volume can't be in a RCG without a partner volume.

3.Convert it
Here would we convert both vv the source and destination?
It depends. If the application(s) is stopped for the duration, then convert both. If not, the two sides are out of sync and there is no way to perform a delta. Simply delete the destination and create a new one.

4. Assign the VV to the copy group.
Here we have the question of whether the target vv must be deleted and then recreated in the replica or resynchronized from where it was
command: admitrcopyvv [options] <VV_name>[:<snapname>] <group_name> <target_name>:<sec_VV_name>...
If the application was stopped, then be sure to add the "-nosync" option on the command line.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

apol
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

it's a shame that dedup and sync remote copy don't play well together. 3PAR is so flexible, dynamic and space efficient, but as soon as you use dedup and sync remote copy, you pretty much lose most of this. With all those rc-optimizations in 3.3.1 MU3 and planned for mu4 - any chance that this is fixed?

mainland, there is a pdf/guide called "Migrating TDVV from 3PAR 3.2.1 or 3.2.2 to 3.3.1", part numer P00595-001. It explains a lot about how you can work around this (albeit it was writte for the special task of converting dedup v1 or v2-volumes to dedup v3). I'm not sure if it's still around, but it was an interesting read.

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

@apol wrote:

it's a shame that dedup and sync remote copy don't play well together.

What makes you say that?

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

mainland
Frequent Advisor

hello I think the same, since having to eliminate the replicas and replicate them again one to one is very tedious a├▒go sonre todo when I have hundreds of vv

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

It is not an issue of dedup and Remote Copy. And once converted, resume the affected Remote Copy Groups.

It's an issue of all the work the system has to do to convert any volume from thin to dedup. Or 3.2.2 dedup to 3.3.1 dedup(v3). Which isn't a conversion so much as writing a new dedup volume with all the old volume's data.

Tedious? Yes. A checklist with the steps and command line lists as you go would help. Especially when the previous step finishes at some odd hour of the night and you wand to start on the next step of the process.

Accept or Kudo

apol
Frequent Advisor

I was wrong, I intended to say Dedup, RemoteCopy and DO don't play well together, as you can only have two at a time.

We pay a lot for redundancy (mirroring all your stuff with Remote Copy). If someone suggests disabling your redundancy just before performing some open heart surgery, then that's not exactly what you want to hear...