6412 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HPE 3PAR Operation not allowed when converting Dedupe VV to Thin VV

anders_dicker
Visitor

Re: HPE 3PAR Operation not allowed when converting Dedupe VV to Thin VV

Hello,

after fighting several months I was finally able to update to 3.3.1 MU2. And now I'd like to convert dedup volumes with version 2 to version 3.

In the previous posts there is a PDF document mentioned with title "Migrating TDVV from 3PAR 3.2.1 or 3.2.2 to 3.3.1" and part numer P00595-001.

Unfortunately I was not able to find this document anywhere. Is anyone of you able to give me this document?

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Anders

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

I knew I had a copy stashed away  <smile>

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z3uetl898owd0f8/Migrating%20TDVV%20from%203PAR%203.2.1%20or%203.2.2%20to%203.3.1%2C%20Aug%202017%20-%20P00595-001.pdf?dl=0

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

anders_dicker
Visitor

Thank you very much!

No I have to look for a way to get the system to dedup version 3... unfortunately we're running above of 80% usage so it's not that easy to migrate/tune VVs.

So maybe the only option would be to switch everything to one side (synchronous Remote Copy), delete the secondary volumes, do a full sync afterwards, switch back and do the complete procedure again for the other side afterwards.

Any other/better ideas?

anders_dicker
Visitor

Is there someone having experience on any performance impact for the final release of dedup version 2 space?

I was finally able to migrate all data on one side of a peer-persistence configuration to new dedup version 3. And now everything is running fine on new dedup version 3 LUNs. But the old CPG still has roundabout 50 TB of disk space for version 2 deduplication in use.

Is it safe to remove the last dedup volume from this CPG during normal working hours? Is a compact_cpg necessary afterwards to free up the space or do I get this disk space back instantly? Or would it be better to temporarily switch back to the other side (with all LUNs still being dedup v2), stop all rcopy groups and delete the last LUN on an idle system?