New Discussion

Help with FC configuration and Zoning for 3PAR 7200-2

SOLVED
Go to solution
TechC
Regular Advisor

Help with FC configuration and Zoning for 3PAR 7200-2

Hi

We just purchased a 3PAR 7200-2. This is the 2 node model and we purchased the add on 4 port FC modules for the 2 nodes. We also purchased 2 DL380 servers with 2 x FC HBA's each. We also purchased 2 x FC SAN switches.

So a couple of questions.

How many ports do I connect from the controller nodes to each fabric? I mean do I need to connect all 4 ports from each node tothe Fabrics?

In regards to zoning.. I am planning on doing 1 to 1 zoning but i cannot find a definitive guide for the 7200-2.

Each server has two FC HBAs so a total of two initiators per server. Does anyone know exactly how I need to zone this configuration.

I have

server1 HBA1

server1 HBA2

server2 HBA1

server2 HBA2

NODE0 Port0

NODE0 Port1

NODE0 Port2

NODE0 Port3

NODE1 Port0

NODE1 Port1

NODE1 Port2

NODE1 Port3

So I am thinking of using all of the 8 FC ports on the Nodes, 4 from NODE0 and 4 from NODE1 like this.

FABRIC1

Zone1 = server1 HBA1 and NODE0 Port0

Zone2 = server1 HBA1 and NODE1 Port0

FABRIC2

Zone3 = server1 HBA2 and NODE0 Port1

Zone4 = server1 HBA2 and NODE1 Port1

FABRIC1

Zone5 = server2 HBA1 and NODE0 Port2

Zone6 = server2 HBA1 and NODE1 port2

FABRIC2

Zone7 = server2 HBA2 and NODE0 Port3

Zone8 = server2 HBA2 and NODE1 Port3

Does this look OK?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
3ParDude
Occasional Advisor

Re: Help with FC configuration and Zoning for 3PAR 7200-2

Nearly right. I would say you would have 6 FC slots per node, 2 onboard and 4 on the expansion card. Best practice is to keep node pairs on the same fabric which you have done in your config. If you do a portshow from the CLI you will see how the ports are numbered it is basically Node:Slot:Port, so if you keep all the ports ending in an odd number on Fabric one and all the ports ending with an even number on a fabric 2 you will meet the requirements for persistent ports to work. If you would like 8 paths to the storage the zoning would be like below

Fabric 1

Zone 1 0:1:1, Server 1 HBA 1

Zone 2 1:1:1. Server 1 HBA 1

Zone 3 0:2:1 Server 2 HBA 1

Zone 4 1:2:1 Server 2 HBA 1

Fabric 2

Zone 1 0:1:2 Server 1 HBA 2

Zone 2 1:1:2 Server 1 HBA 2

Zone 3 0:2:2 Server 2 HBA 2

Zone 4 1:2:2 Server 2 HBA 2

Blog - http://3pardude.com/
Twitter - @3ParDude
TechC
Regular Advisor

Thank you for the detail 3par dude.

So if I understand correctly in your configuration example, for each Node, you have onboard ports 1 and 2 from the onboard 2 port card and Ports 1 and 2  from the 2 x 4 port expansion cards running from the 3PAR to the Fabrics correct? A total of 8 physical runs from the 3PAR to the Fabrics.

The way I understand 3PAR is that the SLOT portion of the "NODE:SLOT:PORT" definition is 1 for the onboard card and 2 for the add on 4 port card.

If that is accurate then in your configuration example you have this

Zone 1 0:1:1, Server 1 HBA 1

Zone 2 1:1:1. Server 1 HBA 1

Zone 3 0:2:1 Server 2 HBA 1

Zone 4 1:2:1 Server 2 HBA 1

Fabric 2

Zone 1 0:1:2 Server 1 HBA 2

Zone 2 1:1:2 Server 1 HBA 2

Zone 3 0:2:2 Server 2 HBA 2

Zone 4 1:2:2 Server 2 HBA 2

Meaning Onboard Ports 1 and 2 from node 0 and onboard Ports 1 and 2 from node 1 are connected to the Fabrics.

Meaning Expansion card Ports 1 and 2 from node 0 and Expansion card Ports 1 and 2 from node 1 are connected to the Fabrics.

Leaving me on each node  with 2 free ports on the add on card correct?

What would be the use case for using more free 3PAR FC ports to the Fabrics? Improved bandwidth right?

Realistically could 2 x DL380 servers with 2 x single port 8Gbps FC HBA cards saturate the bandwidth in the example above? I am thinking that the 3PAR Node port pair like 0:1:1 and 1:1:1, only 1 of these is active at any one time and the other is in a passive mode for lack of a better term. If this is so then do I have an aggregated throughput of 32Gbps in the above configuration since 4 of the 8Gbps ports will only be active at any one time?

Any links to a good FC zoning guides with examples for different types of storage?

Thanks again

3ParDude
Occasional Advisor
Solution

"A total of 8 physical runs from the 3PAR to the Fabrics" - Yes

"The way I understand 3PAR is that the SLOT portion of the "NODE:SLOT:PORT" definition is 1 for the onboard card and 2 for the add on 4 port card." - Yes

"Leaving me on each node  with 2 free ports on the add on card correct?" - Yes

Best practice is to configure standard hosts with 2 ports and hypervisors with 4.  I believe the thinking behind this is so that you do not got over the maximum number of initiators for your ports.  As you have 2 hosts only I don't think you are going to get anywhere near the maximum number of initiators and so 4 connections is OK.  If you set your hosts use round robin then all paths will be active and you will have loads of bandwidth.  You will normally run into performance issues with the backend disks before the front end ports become an issue.

Blog - http://3pardude.com/
Twitter - @3ParDude