HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage
1752518 Members
5201 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How many disks can fail in 3PAR 7000 series for raid 10?

KYAW_NAING_SOE
Occasional Visitor

How many disks can fail in 3PAR 7000 series for raid 10?

I would like to know about 3par 7000 series raid10. How many drive can fail in raid10?
total drive = 200

raid = raid10

1 REPLY 1
sbhat09
HPE Pro

Re: How many disks can fail in 3PAR 7000 series for raid 10?

Hello @KYAW_NAING_SOE,

In RAID10, set size will be 4 disks. Let me put it as a0, a1 and b0, b1. Data will stripe between a0 and b0 and data will mirror between a1 and b1. Your data is safe upto 2 disk failures. But condition is one disk between a0 or a1 and one disk between b0 or b1 may fail. If both a0 and a1 or b0 and b1 fails, there will be data loss.

So, if you have 100 disks maximum 50 disks may fail among data disks or between mirrored disks. But not both data disks and mirrored disks.

3PAR is quite advanced in this matter. Here the RAID applies on chunklets. So, 3PAR will provide better data security and fast RAID rebuild against disk failures.  Whenever a disk fails, spare chunklets will be utilised by the system automatically to rebuild the RAID. When another disk fails, again available spare chunklets will move to used and free chunklets will become spare and the process continues.

Depending on the availability of free chunklets, HA type and time gap between each disk failures, 3PAR will effectively protect data upto any 50/100 disk failures.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!
Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of HPE.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo