HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage
1752805 Members
5536 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to properly utilized Consistency Virtual copies?

Faisal Bashir
Advisor

Scenario:
We have implemented a HPE 3Par Remote Copy from our Main site to our remote site.
We want to test our synchronized data, like simulating a primary site disaster.

We do have 5 replicated virtual volumes (MS SQL Operation) in 1 group sync time of every 10 mins.
During the exportation to the server, the data are not
viable or usable by Remote SQL Server as it seems the captured data of the SQL database and SQL Logs are not on the same point in time captured and sync as the database hence both the connectivity and utilization of the database is not possible and viable utilization.

Any one can verify maybe the subject of consistency virtual copy may fit to my issue and how to implement it correctly.

Regards Brothers.
2 REPLIES 2
sbhat09
HPE Pro

Re: How to properly utilized Consistency Virtual copies?

Hi Faisal,

If you are running asynchronous replication, and hosts are continuously writing data, consistency between the primary and secondary volume differs by sync period. For 100% consistency of the volumes, synchronous replication is recommended.

Regards,

Srinivas Bhat

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Re: How to properly utilized Consistency Virtual copies?

You mention a "group sync time of every 10 mins" which Remote Copy considers asynchronous. As such, at best the remote site would be 10 minutes behind.

Now: You want the database to be in a consistent state when the Remote Copy Group (RCG) synchronizes. Rather than letting the RCG sync on its own, you would need a script that would

1. put the database in a consistent state,
  2. have the 3PAR synchronize the RCG ("syncrcopy") -- you may want to look at the [set|show|remove]sshkey commands.
  3. put the database back in its normal state.

Have you looked at Recovery Manager Central? See if the 3PAR is already licensed to work with RMC.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo