HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage
1754021 Members
7820 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How to reduce the data loss risk with 3par F/T/V class?

louisji2008
Regular Advisor

How to reduce the data loss risk with 3par F/T/V class?

As I know, when a disk failed in F/T/V class , it will not start to rebuild automatically.
So if there is another disk which contains the data in a same raid set ( assume raid5 ) as the failed disk does become fail, the raid set goes to inconsistent. So the LD and VV will not be accessed, am I right?
If yes, how to avoid the situation happen?

How time flies~~~
1 REPLY 1
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Re: How to reduce the data loss risk with 3par F/T/V class?

Don't know where you got that, but it's patently wrong. When a disk fails in a 3PAR, non-RAID 0 data is relocated to spare chunklets on other drives which become part of the RAID sets. The command "showpd -c" will show the chunklet counts of all the disks. The chunklets are separated into "Normal chunklets" used for data allocation, and "Spare chunklets" used for RAID set rebuilds. If you run out of spares, it will start to use 'normal' chunklets for rebuild purposes.

The "move_back_chunklet" scheduled job looks for relocated chunklets and moves them after the failed drive is replaced.

Please get a copy of the HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage Concepts Guide from the HPE Information Library and read the section on Chunklets.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo