HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage
1748089 Members
5024 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Is it possible to setup oracle fail-safe (active-passive) SAN replication for oracle?

wildfly
Occasional Contributor

Is it possible to setup oracle fail-safe (active-passive) SAN replication for oracle?

Dear Experts,

Is it possible to setup oracle fail-safe (active-passive)  SAN replication for oracle?

For getting RTO < 60 seconds 

• If primary host goes down , the remote site must have the option to start the oracle database.
  • Sites are geographically apart.

HP 3PAR san replication, can it be used in my senario?

• I do not have option to implement oracle datagaud as its very costly.

Does anyone achieved something similar with HP 3PAR san replication?

• I have oracle SE.
  • it is obvious that all-flash backup may be fast.

What should be the strategy to have DR site will recover within seconds , if primary site failed for some reason 

• Daily incremental backup with RMAN. And archive backup runs for every 1 minutes
  • To have the DR site up and running within 60 seconds, it still requires to much time to restore the database on emote site  and have archive logs APPLIED  
  • What could be the solution with san replication? RTO is 60 seconds

Thanks & Regards

1 REPLY 1
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Re: Is it possible to setup oracle fail-safe (active-passive) SAN replication for oracle?

Depending on how far apart the two sites are, you may be able to use synchronous Remote Copy and HPE 3PAR Recovery Manager software for Oracle. This would require two additional physical servers, one at each site, running the same OS and Oracle versions, capable of attaching to the SAN and bringing up a snapshot of the database. See SPOCK (www.hp.com/storage/spock) for latest requirements.

Note: While I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company.
----------
If my post was useful, click on my KUDOS! thumb below!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo