5639 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Move VVs between 3PARs

Joe Borgia
Occasional Advisor

Move VVs between 3PARs

Good afternoon all.

I have a situation here where one of our engineers asked me if I could move a VV from one of our 3PAR arrays to another. I'm guessing the only way I would be able to accomplish this is with a Remote Copy license. I'm not seeing much anywhere else on the Internet with regard to this situation. Does anyone have any information that they could provide?

Thanks,

Joe

-----------------------
Sr. Systems Administrator
NCI, Inc
4 REPLIES 4
yapkl
Trusted Contributor

You could use peer motion to do that, have a look at this video - is this what you want to do?

https://youtu.be/aeQUeiSHaG8
Best Regards,

yapkl

Note: The opinions & comments above are my personal opinions, not of Hewlett Packard Enterprise
----------
If my post was useful, click on my KUDOS! thumb below! Thanks.
Joe Borgia
Occasional Advisor

Not exactly. Looking at my original post, I misspoke. What we're actually looking to do is copy a VV from one 3PAR to another, not migrate a host and data. We're not looking to move a VV. The original VV needs to stay on the original 3PAR. We just need to have a physical copy on the other one.

There doesn't seem to be a way to export or copy a physical VV, unless there''s something I'm not understanding.

-----------------------
Sr. Systems Administrator
NCI, Inc
yapkl
Trusted Contributor

Then it is 3PAR remote copy to achieve what you want.

Alternatively, you could take a snapshot (crash or application consistent) of the VV, then back it raw using your backup software (to tape, disk, whatever medium) and then restore it at your destination 3PAR (you would have to create the exact size volumes first before restoring).

You won't need remote copy for this, but you'll need virtual copy (for the snapshots). If you don't have either, AND you can afford downtime, then shutdown the app/unmount the volume and use the same raw backup/restore method to make a copy over to the second 3PAR.

Best Regards,

yapkl

Note: The opinions & comments above are my personal opinions, not of Hewlett Packard Enterprise
----------
If my post was useful, click on my KUDOS! thumb below! Thanks.
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

And going back around to yapkl's earlier idea of Peer Motion, the Federated Storage concept takes the idea of Peer Motion and makes it bi-directional.

"Storage federation allows you to move virtual volumes between 3PAR StoreServ Storage systems while the volumes are in use. ... Hewlett Packard Enterprise recommends that systems have identical definitions for the following settings:

• Domain and domain sets
  • Host and host sets
  • Users"

Note: All StoreServ systems must be running 3.2.2.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo